New concept? Mood = Moonlighting (Video Up)

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by insanespain, Jun 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I'm thinking maybe red and orange and yellow would be a little on the extreme side. But with an arduino I could write code to do anything. It could even be set up as simple as some nice fades between blue-teal-greenish-purple-blue. Just slowly mixing between that color range. Would give a nice twist to the same old boring blue moonlights.

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I can see some cool efffects with some gentle transitions. Sounds pretty cool for being something different, which I can appreciate. The more you talk about it the more I am intrigued to see what comes out of this.

One question though: no techno music right?

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i think you would have a better chance for the look aesthetically using cool colors like blues greens purples and such. i wouldnt do yellow orange red or anything. just my opinion lol

5. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

my corals close for about a hour at nite then half of the colony opens up and other have stay closed so ur corals could pop at nite

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Your missing the point. He is going for something different that standard issue.

You might want to think about mixing in maybe like a 1:4 UV LED mixed in just for color highlights without getting the total look.

7. insanespain

HA! No, I wont be wiring in a mic and doing a sound activated mode. I'll save that for when I LED light my garage for parties :beer:

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

Ya the more I talk about this the more I wanna play with it. I already have an Arduino laying around that I never have enough excuses to play with. I think I'll order a couple RGB leds and some transistors this weekend, and go ahead and get the breadboard out and play with some code on a 5mm led.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

well remember there arent rules but guidelines;) i would go for and if it works out, great! if not worst case scenario your corals close up for a while with little to no long term effects.

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Wow. Didn't think this would of gotten this fired up.

First, this has been a debate for years, do moonlights help your tank or is it just to please your eyes?

After doing a lot of research over the years, IMO I would say yes. Having moonlights on promotes grown and spawning in some corals. As well as fish, inverts, and other organisms.

When my white moonlights are on my zoas and star polyps are still open.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Also I would stick to blue, white or both. No need for RGB LEDs. Remember you are recreating the color the moon shines into the water. I have never seen a green moon.

The only reason using RGB LEDs is if you wanted to recreate lightning display.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk