New clown duo + one?

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Phayes, May 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Hey guys, went to the LFS today to find a mate for my lonely false perc in my 75g. The only clownfish they had were 2 mated false percs, roughly the same size as my current one. They told me that they probably wouldn't be getting anymore clownfish in for the next 2 weeks due to their "other" clown tank coming down with a bad case of ich. (I agree with them, their other clowns looked pretty ill looking). .... So my bad half got the better of me, and I bought the mated pair... Now i have 3 clown fish.... :-/ Will the 3 be okay in my tank, or will the mated pair start bullying the odd man out? I suppose I can always bring the 3rd back to the LFS and ask for a store credit, but If i could keep 3 without problems, I'd prefer it.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL well it will be odd man dead..

4. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

I have all 3 in there right now, and they all seem quite content with each other... But i know that notion will soon pass and havoc will unleash in my Pandora's box like waves of molten lava evolving into utter chaos .. and then.... maybe the new pair will host in my LTA :)

5. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

but really, how long before one gets killed, will I be able to tell which 2 are the "new pair"... I really dont want to see one end up getting killed and wouldnt mind rescuing it before hand and feeding it to my tarantula.

lol.. kidding again... but really want to bring one back to the LFS just so it doesnt die :(

6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I'd just keep an eye on them to start with, also depends on tank size but every clown is a bit different, I know one guy that cant have more than 1 in his tank and have another buddy that has 5 in his

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd not only worry about it dying,but, the condition of the fins when it's time to return for credit. Your lfs might not be as interested in something they can't sell quickly.

8. Click Here!

9. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Also keep in mind that when they do start attacking the third that it will probably not be at a convenient time for you. When clowns bully another clown it can happen overnight. Just be aware that you run the risk of coming in in the morning to a 2 clown tank.

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I agree...will be a two clown tank in long run...

Which two? Hard to say...but my bet is on mated pair...

:-/

11. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

What ever happened to the third clown?

12. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

WAIT A MINUTE he said the mated pair is the same size as the one he has now, if both are the same size I doubt they are a mated pair. Isnt one , the larger one, the female, and the smaller one the male? Have I been misinformed.

BTW+3 on one will get killed out.