New clam in trouble?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by blue_eyes53813, Feb 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

I just got a new clam yesterday and this morning a dumb peppermint shrimp was stick its legs in the top of the clam. The clams mantle is all pulled inside. I was wandering if anyone knows if it will open back up? Is this normal for it to pull itself so far inside the shell?I lost my last clam, Reaon I dont know :-/ I am afraid this one is trouble too. Any info would be great. Thanks Vicki

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

This does not sound good.
    What lights and tank info can you provide us?

4. blue_eyes53813

I have 125 gallon and 750 watts MH and 192 watts actinics. I am so mad at the tank right now. I wsnt gonna get the clam because it was more expensive than I wanted to spend , It didnt even last a day. Live and learn I guess. The shell is completely closed and i cant see the mantle. I was reading at clams dircet and dead clams fall open??? I dont know.

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Is this at the bottom of the tank?
    You have enough lights for it and was thinking maybe it needs time to adjust to your lights?
    Are you running charcoal?
    What are your recent test reading on the tank?

6. blue_eyes53813

Yes it is on the sand. All test are good. 0 for all. No carbon. I wonder if that is normal for it to pull the mantle inside. I hope the mantle didnt get ate by something??? This is the frustrating time for SW tanks.I guess I have to sit and waite to see if it pulls through.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Don't know for sure. Mine was fine from the minute I added it to the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. blue_eyes53813

well I just talked to the pet store owner and he said it is normal for a clam to pull mantle in and close completely. I still have my doubts though.Keep your fingers crossed for me.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

They may say anything just to calm you down. Hope for the best and be prepared for the worst I always say.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What kind of clam is it? Some are good on sand, some are better near the lights on the rocks.

12. blue_eyes53813

It is a maxima clam, It is very small only about 2 inches.