New BTA

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by david, Sep 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Hey Everybody,
        like a week ago I went to the lfs. They had just gotten 3 BTA's two looked good and one didn't. I went back a week later and they looked so good I bought one! When I brought it home it was stuck on a dead piece of coral(witch I had to pay
    $4 for.)When I got it home it was late so the tank was dark, perfect to aclimate an anemone! It moved off the coral piece down into a crack beetween two pieces of live rock. Should I turn the rock so it gets more light or just leave it alone?
     Also what could this coral piece be? I see that some is still alive around the edge. I tried to give it a bright spot I hope it will come back.The living spots are green the dead part is black looks like "coral skeleton". It looks like a large shelf mushroom on a tree?    Any guesses Thank you everybody!!!                     [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Here is a pick of the unknown coral?

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I'm not really sure if that's a living coral, it may just be a long dead coal with algae covering it.
    as for the BTA I would leave it alown. It will find a spot it likes and hope it's a spot you like.

J

5. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Yes jackets I know it's dead with algea on it but if you look close at the very top and very bottom I can see what it once looked like. I hold no hope of it coming back but no reason to take it out either right?
    The pieces on it that "look alive" flouesce<--(spelling) green under the light. Even that is part has red algea over it though I see it poking through the algea if my camera was better I could show you what I mean.
    I was just wondering if anybody knew what this coral once was? I know it's hard to tell by a skeleton but I thought some body might know?

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

You can leave it in your tank as natural reefs are really coral skeletons upon coral skeletons. As for the anenome, leave it alone and it will find the spot it likes. Make sure your powerheads are out of harms way and won't eat your BTA if it wonders. Hope you have good strong lighting to facilitate the photosynthesis of the zoanthalea!

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks Matt!, I had no clue what kind of coral that could have been.
    Craig, yes I worried about lighting too. I have 220 watts. of compact flourescents.2 actinic and two white. I was thinking I would put him up high but he moved before the lights ever came on. He appears fine looks really well anyway. Hoping for the best ::)

10. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

The BTA has moved again even farther into the back of the tank. It is crazy it took me like 20mins. just to find it this morning.I figured that since it loves light it would head up towards the light.

11. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

O.K. guys I went against everyones advice and turned the rock over. I hadn't seen more than 2 tenticles of the BTA in 3 days!
    When I turned it over it (to my surprize) it looked great even after I turned the rock over. So I fed it! It ate some krill (small piece). That night it moved back down into the shadows.
    I thought this might happen. So I moved some rocks and made a shadowy spot. Closer to the front, and sure enough thats where it went. I still can't see it great but better than before.
       I won't move it again now. Why would this light loving invertabrate hide from the light anybody on this?
                                             [smiley=dunce2.gif]
    And the coral! I noticed today while I was feeding the LTA the live part that looks green has like 18 mouths in a straight line that were open. They would close when the current would hit them wierd because my arm was in there. And I see small bits and parts over the flat that have a speck of green here and there( no mouths on those though) they are too small I think?
    I know it's pretty gone but it's nice to think that this tank is a place where the coral could come back. Hell the LTA anemone looks real good after going up the filter intake. LOL
    So today I blew any debris off the top of this coral lets see if I can get that green to spread!

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Great news, keep us posted, and post a picture. Steal a digital camera if you must! My BTA moves from light to dark, I'm not an anenome so I can't say for sure. Must be acclimating and adjusting to its needs.