Urgent new brain coral

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by tank1970, Jan 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Good, but don't just add calcium, you'll knock your Kh out of whack. Read up on two part dosing, and get a good test kit. I like the Tropic Marin, and it's only ~$12. They're all important, but calcium and Mg are more stable, but your alkalinity will fluctuate more. I would't doubt that your Kh is real low, around 6 or 7 if you don't dose.

2. Click Here!

3. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Don't forget Mag, this is VERY important!

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

5. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

u mean nitrates? not nitrogen

6. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

yes nitrates ;)

Just an update I move it under a ledge spot feed it again this morning did suck in a piece again.

the recession has not grown since yesterday (about 3 mil of recession) but the colour is bleaching even more.

My kh is at 9
    cal is @ 390 this morning.

All other residence are doing great.

My biggest concern is
    1. is the coral savable?
    2. if it dies will it nuke the tank?
    3. how long to wait or at what point do I take it out?
    4. if it keeps recessing am I fighting a losing battle?

7. tank1970

pic from this morning

Here is the latest photo
    braincrop.JPG

8. Click Here!

9. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

looks to me that it is a goner. i may be wrong but that looks to me just a skeleton. i am going through the same thing right now with one of my open brain but yours looks worse than mine and mine is already a goner. sorry

10. tank1970

That is very sad
    But will it just slowly die? and will it have a bad effect on the rest of the aquarium?

11. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I will say it one more time, magnesium.

12. damon

damon Sea Dragon

I don't know as much as all these people seem to, but this is my mho. I don't know how long you've had it, but I would not have moved it far from where I had it if I could feed it and the flow was ok. I don't have a good test kit and am not good at being consistent with dosing, so I feel I create more problems than I help. I just try to be consistent with water changes, you may be better at it than me. I still don't think that this is the time to find out if your going to spike things by dosing. I think if it's eating your in pretty good shape. I would try to do a iodine dip (I've always done a light one because I'm not confident with that) to help the open tissue heal it self. It can heal and then regrow on the old skeleton, but that will be in six months. I would try to feed it daily, and you would be amazed at how much it can eat. Do they normally do well in your tank or is this your first one? oh ya, if you can turn down the exposure on your cam we'll be able to see it better. Is it expanding when it eats?