New Blue Moon Aquatics LED Lamp

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Anyone else catch the new LED lamp being carried by Marine Depot? The Blue Moon Aquatics LED fixture is a 90 watt 15k fixture that should generate some interest at $499 and free shipping. It has 60 1 watt white LEDs and 30 1 watt 460nm blue LEDs. This new item is already sold out? But the newsletter just came out today! :)

[​IMG]
    The New Blue Moon Aquatics LED Lamp - Photo Credit: Marine Depot

[​IMG]

From the Marine Depot site:

Blue Moon Aquatics LED fixture
    A fascinating "powerful" light that enhances the fluorescent dyes, growth and colors of corals, clams and invertebrates. It creates an intensive natural shimmering effect throughout the entire tank.

The color temperature and spectrum of the 15,000K 90W LED fixture with its high lumen output replicates the intensity of the sun around a shallow coral reef. It combines its spectrum with a 460nm actinic range and has been created to achieve the blue chlorophyll absorption for zooxanthellae symbiosis.

Scientifically created especially for aquatic use with an excellent light spectrum designed for marine aquariums

Most invertebrates and corals kept in a marine tank originate from shallow waters. Up to 10 ft depth nearly the entire “visible”color spectrum of light is evenly spread.

A blue accenting illumination combined with a full spectrum light of a 15,000K temperature bears therefore a desirable lighting to keep and grow corals.

To create such light the benefits of LED lighting come especially handy: While traditional lighting has often several peaks across the entire color spectrum,the spectrum created by LED lights can be set exactly to the desired points.

Looking at the color spectrum of the Blue Moon Aquatics fixture the uniform curve shows besides the desired increase of the actinic range an evenly spread natural spectrum curve with a reduced red spectral range to ensure a remarkable growth of all corals and invertebrates with endosymbiotic algea.

Spectrum Graph:
    http://www.f3images.com/IMD/Md_images/blue_moon_aquatics_90W_LED_light_spectrum.jpg

• 90W created by high intensity LEDs: 60 x 1W 15,000K LED and 30 x 1W 460nm LED for an excellent penetration depth
    • Low energy costs because of lower consumption wattage caused by the LED efficency
    • Extremely durable with a 50,000 hour lifetime
    • Notable higher light output – compared to traditional flurescent tubes
    • Low operating temperature – never worry again about heating issues The BMA LED fixture comes with three cooling fans that start quietly when operated. They remove the “heat” from the LED heat sink to ensure a long lifetime of each single LED.
    • Best possible eco balance: long lifetime without mercury
    90W LED Fixture specifications:
    • LEDs: 60x 1W 15,000K high intensity LED 30x 1W 460nm high intensity LED
    • Dimensions: Length: 16 inches
    • Width: 8.5 inches
    • Height: 2.5 inches
    • Weight: 12 pounds
    • Power Output: 90W
    • Universal Input Range: 100 to 240V AC / 50-60Hz
    • AC Cable Length: 6 ft
    • Regulatory Compliance: (meets requirements/limits) CE & RoHS
    More Info at Marine Depot:
    Blue Moon Aquatics 5000 Lumen/15000K (460nm) LED Pendant

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Looks familiar too. I need to dig around a bit later.

5. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

y didn't they use 3watt crees? ......... o.0

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

im kinda a noob but i really like leds and i was wondering the same thing

7. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i agree. id rather build my own that size with 3watt crees. i spec'd out a 48" 120 bulb configuration but it was $1274 :( would be awesome though to build.

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

spectral irradiance is beautiful! would be very interested in the PAR though... know anything about it Matt?

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Surprised it wouldn't use the 3w Cree LED's like the ReefBrites. Even underpowered at 2-2.2 would be better than 1w.

11. dees reef

dees reef Feather Duster

wished Id read this b4 I posted!

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I think if they listed PAR values it would not sell as well as it is.

Notice the line about comparing it to fluorescent bulbs?

If this used the 3 w cree LED's, then we would have a winner. But sadly the price would not be 500 dollars. Not yet at least.

When 3watters become replaced with brighter ones, then hopefully they will be less money allowing a real MH alternative to be purchased for not a lot of $$.