new biocube 29

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by paul21, Jun 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paul21

paul21 Plankton

the first day put saltwater end of day check alrdy had little amonia no nitrites no nitrates. second day added lr 20lb check at end of day same amonia but slight nitrites and no nitrates . third day amonia same but more nitrites and nitrates.temps were constant 78 morning and evening also added 15 blue hermits . high all on 4th day just did test no amonia at all but the nitrites 5.0 and nitrates 160 ppm temp went up to 82 hot day today also i didnt state it but salinity is kept at 1.025. will post pics of tank and the four test results

2. Click Here!

3. paul21

paul21 Plankton

added pic of tank also

Attached Files:

4. paul21

paul21 Plankton

so if i understand it correctly once the nitrite and nitrate levels drop i will add a clown to tank and then let it cycle again then add maybe some shrimp or feather duster and after a month if all is well some frag soft coral from local shop and eventualy my favorite coral beauty if all goes well up to that point will also be adding protein skimmer before the beauty hows the plan sound any pointers welcome . oh and have been lookin to add refusium with chaeto but not sure yet still reading on phosphates and calcium tks

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looking good Paul.

Have you placed any additional power heads in the display? If not you want to look into that.

Still no ammonia today?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  6. Corailline

You'll end up with some nitrates, I like to do a water change prior to the addition of any livestock and let the tank sit a few more days.

Cycle is a subjective term, the biological filter of beneficial bacteria is always waxing and waning based on the available organics. You'll add a fish after you have no nitrites or ammonia, the fish will produce ammonia, feedings will decay, that will feed the bacteria, the biological filter will grow. A hobbyist experiences new tank syndrome when they have added livestock before the biological filter has been given enough time to evolve/grow.

Careful on your shrimp and feather duster choices, some cleaner shrimp eat feather dusters.

7. paul21

paul21 Plankton

tks for input on shrimp selection oh and nitrates are realy high at moment but hopefuly but monday they will drop then ill add a clown im just not sure on soft corals never done them before only fish and featherduster so doing lots of reading on corals one day hope to have a brain one butstill reading up on it.

8. Click Here!

9. paul21

paul21 Plankton

oh also i added a recuirlating pump first day put it below the pump outlet down near bottom of tank so as to not have any dead spots seam to see moving particles everywhere first two days now tank has cleared caint see any more but i think that one extra did the trick

10. paul21

paul21 Plankton

just to throw it out there i plan on getting the protien skimmer made by coralife for the biocube some say junk some say works just fine if u setup right even saw a guy who had to add a hose to cup going to a larger storage of skimmed stuff so he didnt have to empty cup everyday so if it does that well i will give it a shot

11. Corailline

I have heard the coral life skimmer has gotten better.

Adding a sump will allow you a lot more choices with regard to skimmers.

12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Hey Paul, welcome. To deal with the nitrates you will have to do water changes. There generally are few, if any, bacteria that will clean them out.