New and need help please!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by BassinWV, Aug 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. spinyboxspike

spinyboxspike Plankton

We bought the tank from the lfs. He is not out to sell us stuff. There has been many times when he has told us not to put anything else in. Its all our fault really guys/lesson learned. The lfs in our area is awesome! Best selection without driving to pittsburgh.

In fact if anyone is close to the Morgantown,WV area it would be good to stop by there. I am there every other day and can let you know what all he has if you want.

Streetside Home Reef & Pets
    Specializing in aquatics with the largest saltwater selection in the area. Plus find small pets, reptiles & their supplies.
    304-296-9218
    9 1/2 West Washington Street
    Westover, WV 26501

2. Click Here!

3. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

AMEN to researching your fish choices....read everything you can about a potential fish. It helps to plan out a couple of main fish you would like to keep. A fish such as a flame angel can be quite delicate and most of the time will require a mature tank (6 months or more). Puffers, i have heard can be quite messy. Research fish compatibility, needs, care, etc. NEVER trust what an LFS tells you about a fish (and yes, some of them will sell you a sick fish, so having them hold it for a few days or a week is a good thing to do anyway). Put it on hold, go home and get on the internet. Google it finding out aggressiveness, fragility, min. tank size, and max. growth it will achieve. then go back and question the LFS, see if their info lines up. The bigger the tank the more fish compatibility can be stretched; with a tank your size, it can't be stretched too much.

Acclimation is also important, fosters and smith at liveaquaria.com have a good guide to start with.

I don't even have my 46 gallon yet and ive just been constantly researching the fish i want to keep, even though i can't put some of them in until my tank is 6 months old.

It makes the time when you add a fish that much more satisfying :)

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I'm just bumping this thread.......how's the tank coming along?

5. BassinWV

BassinWV Plankton

alot better now thanks. We had the water checked today and it was am0, n0, n0, ph8.2. We decided not to do the pufers anymore so we got a couple of small clown fish and a shrimp.

6. surfrgirl61187

surfrgirl61187 Skunk Shrimp

Good choice.. I was just reading everything you guys have been going threw.. Wow you did loose a lot.. You truly came to the right place... Me and my husband have a 6month old 26 gal.. Small but we really enjoy it.. One thing we have learned is that you must be patient.. You cant rush into things because you will just be let down.. This hobby is enjoyed more when you are patient.. I wish the best of luck to you guys.. Hope to see more of you tank too!!! ;D

7. GitsieLouWho

GitsieLouWho Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That sounds like a good start, clowns are tough little guys. I wouldnt buy anymore fish for a little bit though let the cycle settle in.