New and need help please!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by BassinWV, Aug 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

Another lfs strikes again.

2. Click Here!

3. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

I agree.... test the water yourself. The amount of money you spent on fish you would have had more then enough for one test kit...but thats just me

I know there are good lfs out there but like any business they want to make money...

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Man, isnt that the truth?
    "Oh yeah, sure, it will be great. Now go ahead and hand over the cash, please".

5. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

best way not to get suck in!?... educate yourself :)

6. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

I'm not following everyone on this and I'm not sure how we are getting to these conclusions.

First question I have are the fish that you lost all put in the tank at the same time?

Second, how did you cycle it..was the 40lbs of live rock in at the beginning?

Finally do you have the test kits? if not get them... you'd save plenty in livestock.

The puffers and groupers actually will pollute the water a bit more so shouldn't be added in a new tank...especially together. I'd tell you to get 4 or 5 damsels and let the tank cycle for 3 or 4 months. Even longer is better. The only fish that you listed that MAY have been ok this early, IMO, was the Tang posiibly the Flame.

7. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

So true and glad that is what they are doing!

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Myself? MYSELF!?!?! I thought thats what all you guys were for...;)
    I was unlucky enough to start with a poor book and the local LFS only. Thank goodness I found this forum!

10. BassinWV

BassinWV Plankton

No all the fish were only added 1 or 2 at a time. We had the puffer and lion for like 10 days then tried to add the flounder and yellow tang when they all died. I really dont think the lfs is out to get us... I think it was our fault. I think we were doing the aculmation verry wrong. We added a little puffer early yesterday and he is doing great. All the other fish would die withen 5 or 6 hours. We tried the aculmation tricks you guys recomended and it seems to have worked better already.

Thinks for the help and tips!

P.S I know my spelling sucks.

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Not to totally knock your LFS, but if they were out to HELP you, they would have told you that you were adding way too much fish way too soon. 10 days between 4 fish is WAY too much.

12. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Yeah, but maybe he didn't give them details about his tank and they had no idea.