New (again) And have a couple questions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by tpasche, Jun 12, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tpasche

tpasche Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello all,

Years back I had a 46 gallon aquarium that crashed from a major red algae and bubble algae outbreak after I moved. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was due to the hard water of the area i lived in. I did use a R/O unit but it didn't seem to help. The freshwater fish lived but the water out there ended up destroying the R/O unit. That said, I have recently moved back to a normal city with normal water and decided to get back into the hobby.

My question is, should I continue with the 46 or wait and save up for my dream which is a 93 cube. Is it not worth it to start one aquarium and then upgrade to another after I have enough saved?

I appreciate the advice.

2. Click Here!

3. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

My opinion would be to save depending on how long that would be. I think that you may find that if you have the means that if you did start the 46 up again and got everything how you want and looking good and matured that you may not want to tear it down. Then your looking at two tanks once your ready for the 93 cube. At least that's what happened to me. I have a 20 long that's been up for over 6 years and it's nice and mature and stable and I wanted to transfer it all over to a 20 rimless cube but instead I'm starting the 20 rimless from scratch.....ooops lol As long as you have plenty of patience though, I would just save for the 93 cube and do that. Then your not spending double the money essentially.

tpasche likes this.
  4. tpasche

tpasche Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks, That is pretty much what I was thinking too...

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would not want to be tankless. So, in my case, I'd start up the smaller one while saving for the larger one. I'd then transfer things to the larger once it was ready to go. It's obviously your decision :)

6. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

I think some fellow hobbyists would agree that it would be your best bet. Took this from the "what have you learned today thread" but explains what I was thinking.

@OFK, ah yes! the itch to have a reef tank can be quite frustrating and not one that goes away easily! lol

tpasche likes this.
  7. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

I'd be like fishkeeper on this one ..

8. Click Here!

9. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I am still building my 55g reef. I wish someday to go bigger. I am however buying and building things to accommodate a bigger tank. I am learning with this tank and enjoying every minute of it. I can't suggest what you should do, but if you have the fever. It wont matter how big you go when you start, you will still want to go bigger.

FeedYourMachine likes this.
  10. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

This is truth!
    I have upgraded 4 times since starting out in 2005,and actually look to upgrade again ,,it never stops,its an addition LOL.

11. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

In 5 years in went from a biocube to a 60 gallon cube to my current 105 rimless. I wish I had gone bigger on this one.

How long would it take you to save up for the bigger tank? I'd go for it if it is a short time. You can get a drilled one with a sump. An example of how going with the fw conversion will cost more... freshwater conversion probably means not drilled, so you will be most likely buying a hand-on -back skimmer, and when you upgrade you 'll want an in-sump skimmer. Twice the purchases needed.

Persons look for a large tank on Craiglist that is in the budget now so you don't have to wait very long.

12. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

I would have to say wait. I have a 36gal bow and after the time (custom built the stand, LED lighting, and sump) I really wish I had a bigger tank. I suffer from Bigger-Bigger disease just like everyone else but the larger system would allow me more room to have all of my controllers, Skimmer, 'fuge, etc., in the stand and larger sump with more space. Just seems a little cramped for me now.