new acro frag

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by ClippersTown, Sep 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

so i just got a new acro frag. this thing was beautiful, but it's looking like a goner now. 3 hours ago this thing had all of it's flesh on it, i turn around and see this. looks like RTN. SG is at 1.027, temp at 79, cal 420, alk 11, mag 1300. I had a ton of flow on this guy too. in my 10 gallon tank, i have the ecoxotic actinic 25 watt led system, along with a 10k t8 18 watt bulb. Anyone have any advise?

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac281/clipperstown/20130930_004947_41_zps23226eb7.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Could be transport damage.

Are you measuring that SG with a refractometer?

My money is on acclimation stress. Coral could have come from a tank with a much lower alk and ca. Also less flow if it's directly in the path of a power head.

Lastly it happens a lot.

4. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

Im measuring the sg with a refractometer... ive also heard that acros are very iffy... is there any kind of starter sps to get? Bird nest?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Pocillopora, Monitipora, Seriatopora.

6. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

Thanks alot Coralline! Im still kinda bummed cause this is the first coral ive lost, and wasnt expecting it to go this fast :/

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I had an Acropora humilis do the same to me back in April after having it shipped. It sucks.

8. Click Here!

9. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

same here, i average about 2 losses to every 5 frags I buy online....sucks when you lose something that you spent a pretty penny on. It makes you scratch your head as to what was the cause, but in reality it's most likely not your tank if you have a stable system and what's in it now is flourishing. There's not much we can do to control this other than a dip and proper acclimation. You can try cutting off the "naked" portion of the coral and hope it recovers.

10. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

The Pocci is the easiest that I have found. The other two listed above are both easy as well, but not as easy as the Pocci. That said, The Pocci also has the strongest sting of any SPS that I have found so far.

11. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

yup, you guys are right. sometimes its just the coral itself and not user error, cause I now have all of these sps that i got from Reef a palooza (which was 2 months ago), and all are doing great.

12. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm