New 72gal bow, need lights. Help!!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Guest, Apr 29, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Just setting up a new reef tank, and i need some lighting advice. I think that I want to go with MH, but not sure if that is the only way. Planning on keeping some hearty corals, no anemones, etc. If I do go halide, who makes a good setup, should I buy used? what wattage, kelvin, etc. Also, I am planning on trying a refugium, should i go with the hang on CPR, or something different. Haven't set up sump yet, so options are open. Any feedback on Euroreef skimmers, any others. I know this is a broad post, but any suggestions would help. thanks ???

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Metal halide is not the only way. You can have success with PowerCompact lighting as well, especially since you are going with hardy corals. Check out jbjlighting.com for some examples. If you go this route, I would get something in the neighborhood of 400 watts. Get a mix of actinic/daylight bulbs with the daylight ones at at least 10000 kelvin.

Halides are fantastic though, more intense and certainly more natural looking. If you go this route, I would probably get a fixture with two 250watt halide bulbs supplemented with actinics. A fixture like this will allow you to get more difficult corals (some stonies, etc), anemones, and clams as you feel comfortable with your tank.

Alternatively, if you stick to your game plan, you could get a fixture with two 175 watt halides or maybe even two 150 watt bulbs. For the bulbs, I would get 10000k bulbs or maybe higher, up to 20000k. Some complain that the latter are too blue. Judgement call. Either way, I would supplement with actinics so you can at least have a dawn/dusk effect. Ushio makes good bulbs.

Halides have to be at least 8-10 inches off the surface of the water because they burn hot. If you go with a canopy, keep this in mind.

Some good fixtures are made by AB-Aqualine, Azoo, Dupla, Hamilton, etc.. HQI setups are all the rage these days, they have ballasts which produce whiter light.

If you retrofit a canopy, check out pfolighting for parts. There are other companies as well if you look around. I have a few links on my links page.

I don't see a problem with going used if you do your homework and know what you are getting.

The CPR Aquafuge are nice if you don't have a lot of space. The one problem I see with those are they are rather narrow and deep, so lighting a lot of caulerpa could be difficult. If you look at the refugium section on this site, it should give you ideas on how to build one if you like.

Euroreef skimmers are supposed to be top-notch. They ain't cheap, but they have a great rep. Check out step 1 on this site for other good skimmers.

Good luck! Keep me posted......
    :)
    Matt