new 65W PC lights and need help

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by new2salt2, Feb 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

just upgraded from single VHO light to 2 48" 65WPC lights one is major Kelvin and othe bulb is Actinic. I planned on building a hood/canopy to hide it in so my tank looks good but when i got lights there was a note inside that said.

these lights are designed to cool naturally and not to put them under hood or canopy. ACK!! also there is a piece of Plexiglass under lights that is clear and not tinted. I know was told not to let light shine through glass because all the rays cant penetrate. Is same true with the plexiGlass? should i take it off?

2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Leave the lenses on the light if you remove them and water touches the bulbs the burst and you have a nightmare in your tank. As far as a hood goes if you ventilate it well enough and don't block the fans for the PC hood I don't see why you cant put a canopy over the tank.

4. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

there are no fans it says it convection cools? whatever that is

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=new2salt2 link=board=lighting;num=1077261332;start=0#2 date=02/20/04 at 11:21:34]there are no fans it says it convection cools?  whatever that is[/quote]

Means no fans! The air around the fixture is suppose to cool it.

6. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

so if i vent a canopy and put it under that with some fans do you think that will be ok?