New 29g reef tank. I'm lost.

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by James.F, Jul 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. James.F

James.F Flamingo Tongue

I have been doing a lot of research this week to upgrade my lighting system (it's a new tank but it came with a 20 inch, 40watt each dual actinic/40 watt each dual daylight) and I hear so many different things.

I could swear I've read multiple times that fluorescents aren't good for reef's because of the lack of light spectrum, but isn't that what T-5's are?

I know metal Hallide's are probably the best, but I don't want something over $100, and I don't like that they drink energy and produce a lot of heat.

That's why I was excited about LED's, but someone said they aren't powerful enough unless you buy an expensive unit.

My tank is 30 inches wide and 29 gallons. Can I get some recommendations (and ebay/amazon links??) to get something that's pretty good for ~$100.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I hope this is helpful to you.

Edit: more info added above...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I don't know that you will get anything that is quality for less than $100.

T5HO are excellent lights, just click on my reef build thread link in my sig line and see for yourself. Those corals have been under T5HO since I got them and are doing just great.

What is the brand of the bulbs you have there? You will only be able to replace those bulbs with ones from the manufacturer of the fixture.

I also think your tank is 30" long if it is a standard 29 gallon.

5. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

Agreed. I can't think of any lights (much less reef quality) that are near 100. The cheapest is, I think, oddysea, but most people have horrible experiences with them and feel ripped off later. For a reef tank, the most important part, imo, are either lights or power heads. Expect to pay about 200 for lights, and 100+ on powerheads. Without either you can maybe do zoas or mushrooms. LEDs will run you about 300 for mid-grade reef.

6. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

By the way halides are way more efficient than t5's and LEDs are more efficient than halides.

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

here is a link to the lights i got for my 29G.. but i must say your budget of 100 dollars wont really do you any good. If you really want to maintain corals ( other than mushrooms and zoas) then you should really think about raising your budget.

Aquarium Lighting T5 Fluorescent Light Fixture: AquaticLife T5 HO and Lunar Light Fixtures

I got the 36'' fixture and it works great.. i did have a minor setback with the moonlights.. but i gave a call and they replaced them all for free.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Actually T5HO are more efficient than MH. 96W of T5HO produce as much or slightly more light than 250W of MH. They penetrate 6" deeper than MH with a good fixture and bulbs.

10. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

you have it the wrong way around its MH<T5's<LEDs

Dang I just saw you beat me to it haha nice 2in10 :p I would def recomend getting some boost led bulbs, 3 over a 29 gallon should be fine at 75 a bulb thats 225 like Seano said but you could get a track lighting setup like I have for my 55 gallon with Orphek LED bulbs for $40 def something to look into if you can save up some money

11. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

That's not true you have to compare them at the same wattage. If you have 100 watts of MH and 100 watts of t5 and 100watts of LEDs the MH will be brighter than the t5 the only reason it seems like there is more light from the t5 is because of the coverage. You can't stretch one MH bulb over a 6th tank like you could do with a t5. That is why it takes more halide light to light a bigger tank. And LEDs are the most efficient lights, not the least.

12. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

No one said LEDs were the worst. And since he appears to ne low budget, coverage is key, if he wants reef quality LEDs at 100$, I doubt he'll like paying 200 twice. I also think with coverage, intensity, cost, and heat in mind the order would still go LEDs>T5HO>MH.