New 29 Gallan Tank stocking help

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Jayhawkfan15, Oct 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jayhawkfan15

Jayhawkfan15 Plankton

Hello all, I recently bought a new 29 gallon tank and needed help with stocking it. Right now it is cycling so I will not be adding any fish for at least a week, but in the meantime I have been thinking about what fish to put in it. I want a community tank, and want from 4-5 neon tetras in it. What else will go good with it? Would adding a couple guppies and 2 African Cichlids with the neons be a good idea? I also wanted to add a couple ghost shrimp.

My tank is not planted, I have added some plastic plants, many rocks, and driftwood to the tank so far, but in the future I might replace the plastic plants with actual plants.

This is my first tank, so I don't know too much about it yet. Any help and insight with my new fish tank will be appreciated! :) Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

the africans will not be compatible with tropical community fish. They require different water parameters and they will be much to aggressive for tropical community fish and would most likely eat them or bully them until death.

My suggestions,.....

1 large school of tetra or 2 smaller schools of tetra
    3-4 cory cats
    gold gourami as your show fish

for algae
    optional dwarf pleco (bushy nose, clown or rubberlip)
    otto cats (would most likely require live plants to sustain their diet
    ghost shrimp would work

4. Jayhawkfan15

Jayhawkfan15 Plankton

Alright thank you for your suggestions! I really appreciate it! I want to have a small variety in my tank, i know its not a big tank but i do want a few different fish.

I am definitely getting 4-5 tetras (do different kinds of tetras school together? say if i get 3 Neon Tetras and 2 bloodfin?)
    4 Guppies ( 2 tequila sunrise and maybe 2 of a different kind)
    Maybe 1-2 dwarf gouramis
    A few ghost Shrimp
    And maybe 1-2 Cory Cats

Any other suggestions are welcomed!

5. DustinB32

DustinB32 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I always liked Swordtails and Platy's in my freshwater community and they come in a variety of colors. And also mix the variety of fish up with ones that stay close to the bottom of the tank, swim in the middle and some that stay close to the surface.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I just have to warn you if you add guppies be prepared for a population explosion. They breed like rabbits.;)Tetras do indeed tend to school but will only school within there species. Be carefull which tetras you add because some are more aggresive then others. Also be aware that neons are suseptible to "neon disease" there is no cure and I have never had luck keeping them for very long. A good alternative would be a cardinal tetra. They look identical with the only difference being the red stripe goes the entire length of the body(unlike the neons which only runs half the body). Bloodfins can be a little nippy at times.You should check out the Rummynose tetras. They do very well with other fish and are not aggresive at all. Probably my favorite tetra.They will also school. Rasboras are another good choice.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. Jayhawkfan15

Jayhawkfan15 Plankton

Thank you guys for all your help and insight! I started with 5 Neons, and will be getting 2 dwarf gouramis in a couple days!