New 190gal build questions...

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Eggs, Jun 27, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Eggs

Eggs Astrea Snail

Hello all,

First time poster, but a long time reader and like to say thanks as this forum has helped me overcome some noobie hurdles.

So without further patronizing the members here let's get to it.

I'm moving up in scale as my 90g has reached its goal of getting myself more acquainted with reef keeping. The test of can I do this successfully is complete and I feel I'm ready to move up in scale. However this move brings along with it some advice from those of you on this forum.

1.) Can I use my existing water in my 90g and transport livestock in my 190g so as to not go through the cycle period. I figured as long as I move all my rock which is already filtering It should be as If I did a huge water change. I will say that I'm not 100% sure I can, and am moving forward as if I need to cycle the new tank before transfer. That method would certainly cut down the time to get the 190g up and running, I made the mistake of telling my fish they have a new home and they haven't stopped asking me for updates. I prefer the cycle method as it will allow me to aquascape the new tank more creatively.

2.) To dose or not to dose, or should I just react.
    a. In my current 90g I really don't have any issues with my parameters fluctuating the only parameter which fights me constantly is my PH it never seems stable. It has dipped into the 7's at one point but I usually hover @ 8.1-8.0 (not my ideal range and want this to get better) with frequent supplements of a PH buffer (aquavitro).
    b. Given my parameters are where they are I don't see a need to get a dosing or reactor system but I would like to start populating the new tank with more coral than I have in my 90. So I'd like to think ahead and purchase either setup now rather than later. I'm configuring my sump room to accommodate both systems. Just don't know which would be the right system.
    c. What's the best way to fight this PH battle? And what would cause the PH to fall as it does from 8.2 water just mixed to 8.0 after being in the system just after a few days? What am I missing?

3.) I'd like to start knowing how to frag, or at the very least know what to do with frags purchased as it seems overwhelming to me, do I take them off their thrones when I introduce them in my tank? Do i leave them on their thrones and allow them to grow? I currently just buy coral on their rocks from the LFS and never deal with frags as I'm not sure what to do, but would like to start as I feel it's more rewarding to see the smallest colony grow into something bigger. Any links or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and when the new tank arrives I'll start a new tank thread for those who wish to follow along in the process.

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

You can use the existing water, but it wont help make the cycle quicker. I wouldn't dose until you get things settled, tank cycles and water stays consistent. Fragging is pretty easy depending on what you plan to frag. I keep my coral on the plug as they will eventually grow over and you wont see it.

4. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Im a little late to this but i ll add my 2c since i just moved tanks myself. I set up my new system which is a 180 tank and 75 sump. I put in new sand and rock and made my scape look close to what i wanted with the idea that I would move the rock from my existing tank over when it was time to make the move. I set everything up and made new water and got the tank running. On move day, i transferred all the existing live rock from my 60 cube over to the new tank and moved all the livestock as well. I figured that the existing rock could already handle the bioload that i was moving so all should go well. After the move, i did not add any livestock of several weeks. All went well with no livestock loss and no changes in my parameters. As with any new system, it is important to let the new tank settle in before making any changes. My biggest challenge so far has been getting my lighting situation right since that was the biggest change in the way the system operates outside of just the change in size. Increasing your rate of water testing should help you after you make the move. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress!