New 100g tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by OverStocked, Sep 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Like LoJack said.

But personally, I would go with a sump on that big of a tank even for a FOWLR.

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I like these threads. It's like were all in a big car, swerving all over the road. We need to keep in perspective that Overstocked is a young guy asking for advice, and we don't want him to crash & burn, but we have no idea where we're going or where we'll end up.

4. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

I see on your initial equipment lost you have live sand listed, can probably save money and get aragonite for a 3-4 inch sandbed. Plus, most "livesand" isn't too alive by the time you get it from what I've heard.

What's your aquascaping idea?

And If your initial idea for rock was to hide the equipment, maybe just use a sump like others said and then you will have a clear DT where you can aquascape. Also, you can pack a lot of LR into the sump too if you don't want so much in your tank.

On the fish list, if you want the tangs you'll probably need a lot of LR for algae growth for grazing from what I've seen/read, so probably better to go the 100 lb route others have suggested.

Good luck!

5. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Just sump it! It is so easy! I even have a HOB overflow I will sell you for $10!

6. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok I'm doing a Everglades biotope. I got 150lbs of wihte super natural suger sand. And a stand,55g tank for sump,1000gph pump, 5 ex70 that I got for 10$ each. I used all my old heaters I had laying around.

It's now day two and I got a 4" large mouth bass and a 2" sunfish
    I plan to add a small peacock bass and a oscar and a ton if plants and drift wood

What kind of plants are in the Everglades ?

7. OverStocked

I'm broke LOL get T5 lights next week

8. Click Here!

9. OverStocked

I missed up next next week LOL

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

lol. Dang. :( I came across the same problem in my build. Came acorss it again on my 29g. haha

11. OverStocked

LOL

I wish I could use neon/argon tubes for lighting. I work at a neon signshop blowing tubes and bombarding them with 15000 watts of power from a pole transformer ran backwards. It's 14400volts at 1.1 amps

Just so you guys know neon lights are bad for tank use for two reasons

1) you would have to run a long bendy tube under your hood and you would need a 15/60 and they are 60lbs each

2) would you like to run live 15000 volt wires by your salt water box ? Also it takes 10ma to kill yah and to get the light you need you would be running 60ma

12. OverStocked

I have a big becks beer sign on my wall cause the guy never paid for it LOL

It's a 4x8 sign