Neverlost 90 Gallon Reef Build Thread

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by NeverlosT, Aug 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Very cool aquascaping - I love the shapes. Can't wait to see it when you start to stock it.

2. Click Here!

3. carpenter

carpenter Feather Duster

::)ok, its night, pics please....

4. FallensReef

FallensReef Astrea Snail

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

DUDE I LOVE THE AQUASCAPING!!!!
    where did you got your rock from?? (LFS, online?) the first time you got it.
    that flat one will be perfect for an anemone IMO. it will look awesome. or some type of bubble coral.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  6. NeverlosT

NeverlosT Astrea Snail

Ok all, I promised pictures, so here they go.

Here is the RO/DI system and the booster pump that feeds the top off container (35 gallon per day), its waste empties into either the sink drain there or the washing machine (if I need to do a load of wash soon).
    [​IMG]

Here is the apex. it is currently just running a temp and pH sensor, an EB8 and a DC8. It works pretty damn well, sends me emails if something is up, and the programming is very easy.
    [​IMG]

Here are two pics of the sump, you can see the refugium fed by the skimmer (algae to come), the return which runs over some baffles, quickly under the fuge, then over another set of baffles, meets with the refugium overflow, and then through a foam block and back into the main tank. The skimmer is a reef devil (honestly it is kind of crappy, I need to upgrade), the uv sterilizer is not running currently, but there is a fluval 405 running off of the refugium with foam and carbon. The ATO is a DIY unit from Aquahub.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. NeverlosT

NeverlosT Astrea Snail

more pics...

So here is the tank...
    You can see the Vortech MP40W powerhead, coupled with the flow from the flow accelerator spitting out the output from the Reeflo Sting Ray main return. Between the two of them, the tank has a constant and varying circular flow... LOTS of flow, the sand is finally getting into little dunes and so on and staying put. SPS should be VERY happy with this much flow, any more, and the only fish able to fight the current are going to be small tuna I think.

[​IMG]
    Here is the end-on shot:
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of beneath the tank:
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. NeverlosT

NeverlosT Astrea Snail

some more....

So here is a closeup of each side. The ugly rocks perched on top of the pretty rocks are covered in coralline algae and I am trying to use them to "seed".

[​IMG][​IMG]

The lighting is not "ideal" right now, I am running the bulbs that came with the MH pendants (unknown brand) and less fancy T5's. When the cycling is done and some really needy corals arrive, I have some USHIO HQI 14K's and some Blue+ t5 bulbs which will light it all nicely. 8)

10. NeverlosT

NeverlosT Astrea Snail

so for my final post of the morning... (I need to get working!) I will ask for help. The tank has been running with some seed live sand and seed live rock for over 2 weeks. The skimmer has been going and the T5 lights have been on.
    (I recently secured the skimmer and lights, since I dont mind letting some grunge build up at this point and I started to get algae growth issues)

I tested some of the parameters last night. It looks like the following:
    pH - 7.95
    Ammonia - 0ppm
    Nitrites - 0ppm
    Nitrates - 0-5ppm
    SG- 1.023

There is a dead coctail shrimp sitting in the tank which is hopefully feeding the bacteria in there....

So either A. My cycle is complete (sweet) or B. it hasnt even STARTED yet, which would indeed, stink a lot. Anyone have any input? I dont want to put in any animals yet since if there is another big cycle I dont want them to suffer. (there is 1 starfish who arrived in the live sand, he is kickin' it in the sump, the FIRST live member of the reef!).

2 people like this.
  11. NeverlosT

NeverlosT Astrea Snail

The rock came from an LFS on Cape Cod many years back. I love it, but MAN was it expensive! The rest in there is MARCO ROCK!

12. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

HUGE props to you man! I think this is my new favorite tank and it hasn't even been stocked - nevermind stocked, it hasn't even cycled yet! I really want a rock like that as my centerpiece.

1 person likes this.