Neon green algae on sand and tank walls

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by rustynutzz, Dec 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rustynutzz

rustynutzz Plankton

I turned off my super actinic's and turned on my white's to see what was growing and I see neon green algae on the substrate and walls of tank. Possible coraline maybe? I added a teaspoon of reef buffer and a few teaspoons of calcium +3 when I set up the tank, do you think this may be coraline? I tried to scrape a little but there is not enough to tell if it is hard or soft. If it is coraline, how did it get in there? Possibly from the live sand? I have half ocean direct live sand mixed with regular aragonite and one damsel cycling. No live rock.

2. Click Here!

3. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Er maybe not

HI,
    You need to describe the age of the tank, some water parameters would be nice to.
    My first guess is its the normal part of a tank start-up cycle.
    Are you using RO/DI water.
    Doug

describes water quality sources.
    Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

this is the most useful info that I found about understanding what can happen if your not testing water before adding chemicals.
    KH is very important, CA, And Mag are also critical in the right amounts.

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I don't think it is coralline as normally it takes awhile to develop and doesn't happen during the initial cycling phase. Coralline takes awhile to develop and usually not until the tank has been up for 6 months or longer. The addition if iodine, calcium and the right type of lighting and water flow affords for the best chances of coralline developing and flourishing.
    You can enhance the likelihood of coralline developing by purchasing live rock that has coralline growth on it!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

My coralline is over everything and the tank is only 4-5 months old. I think i did something right........

6. rustynutzz

rustynutzz Plankton

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

if its algae, that doesnt mean its coming to a close, but rather that you have some excess nutrients (nitrate, phosphate.....) I would test the water params (some good ol' test kits) and then you will understand your tank much better. Post your test results and people will analyze it for you (it makes us happy to do something involving aquariums, even testing, lol)

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

silicates, phostphates, nitrates, doc's feed algae. media, skimming, refugium or a water change, would help to lower the above elements.

10. jasno999

jasno999 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Check your water parameters like the others said. YOu should be monitoring them alomst every otehr day durign the cycling cause then you can see when the levels spike and come back down. If you are past the spike then algae could be natural or due to high phosphates.... (Are you using RO or RO/DI water- if not check phosphate level).

If you are past the spike and parameters are ok then it is probably just tiem for a turbo snail and clean-up crew.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You could assume that your nearing the end of the cycle if you now have an Algae bloom. But it does not mean the cycle is done. You still have to monitor your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. You obvious have a huge amount of something that is feeding the algae. My guess is Nitrate. Keep testing and DON'T do a water change if your still cycling

J

1 person likes this.