Neon candy cane struggling.

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by NittyGritty, Nov 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Hey all, I recently upgrade flow on my tank to an MP40 and purchased a beautiful neon green candy cane.... Then left for. 4 day weekend. Only to come back to my candy cane dying due to what I assume to be too much flow. I was not around to monitor the vortech too much as I wish I did. Anyways, here is a pic now that it's located safely on my sand bed. Each head does still have some flesh, just not much. Any advise to get this guy back to par? I did a 20% WC yesterday and Parms are where I normally have them. [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think you can just give it time now that you've changed its location. You'll just need to wait and see but I'll defer to others with more coral expertise.

4. Fernando77

Fernando77 Astrea Snail

If you give it time it should come back. Same thing happened to my sons and it recovered.

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah agreed above, They're pretty hardy as long as the water is good it will come back. Low flow area.
    If you can't find a good spot where it can stand on it's own.. try putting it in a piece of PVC. At least until it recovers then you could move it to medium flow if you didn't like the low flow spot.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Try spot feeding too. Similar thing happened to my duncans, moved it to a lower flow and lower lighting area and spot fed it and it has recovered fully.

7. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Yeah, sounds like we are all on the same page. What were some of your recovery times?

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Oh gosh, I don't remember. At first it was slow, but it's really starting to come back now and grow a lot.

10. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

+1 on the spot feeding, providing it has enough gusto to put out its feeder tentacles at night still.

11. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I'll check him out tonight. If he does I will hook up some coral frenzy.

12. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Do you monitor your alkalinity?