Neon candy cane issue

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Nick Adrian, May 27, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nick Adrian

Nick Adrian Plankton

Ok so I have a question about my candy canes. It's odd but I would say 95% of them are flourishing and growing like crazy but i have a couple heads on each bunch that don't extend tentacles at night and the flesh is slowly receding and I have tried nearly everything and can't quite figure out what's causing just a single head to wither. It's not pests or water quality issues my only thought is possibly too much light but if that was the case why is only one out of 40+ heads withering? I have a lot of history with corals and have never had issues but it's bothering me when even one head looks unhappy so I would like to alleviate that if possible should I cut it off and try moving that specific head? Ou can see the one that is struggling right in the center it's brighter colored.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it just looks to be a little deflated to me - it doesn't appear to be receding with skeleton showing - I might try direct feeding a little bit - I agree with your reasoning about the light - if that was the culprit or if it was parameters, you would see more heads not doing well

4. Nick Adrian

Nick Adrian Plankton

That's the thing it has been like this for a while so I don't think it's deflated and it's not just this one I have maybe three heads that look like this total (I have a lot of candy canes probably 150+ heads total they grow like crazy in my tank) they won't take to feeding because at night they don't put out there tentacles I have tried but the other heads on the same clusters happily feed otherwise I would target feed like I do to all the rest of the corals that's why I'm stumped it's right in the middle and not happy. I even tried enticing them by squirting some food on them then waiting half hour for feeders and nothing.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

It looks like a new head sprouted in the mix and is out competed by the bigger heads. It doesn't look like it's dying or receding in any way so I wouldn't worry to much

Nick Adrian and mdbostwick like this.
  6. Nick Adrian

Nick Adrian Plankton

Ya that could be it that it does look like a newer head I just didn't consider that normally the new heads inflate right away from what I have seen I'll give it a few days and try to target feed and see what happens. Thanks everybody for the r

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's what we're here for. I used to grow candy canes and it would happen to me. The head would never die but it would remain smaller.