Nems in mixed reef

Discussion in 'Coral' started by ncfishguy, Aug 9, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ncfishguy

ncfishguy Astrea Snail

Any one here have any in there tank with other coral? Will they get along with other coral or sting bad or hurt them

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i believe the genral rule is "scape around a nem and not vise versa" once an anemone has found a spot it wont move much, and you can then place corals accordingly. this however is in no way a guarantee that it will remian in said spot. it may decide to start roaming again at some point (especialy if it starts splitting). so i guess proceed with caution. any anemone to my knowledge packs a powerful punch and will ultimately harm corals should it get into contact with them.

Mr. Bill, zesty and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 Generally not a good idea unless its a large system.Even then it is still a serious risk.

Mr. Bill and zesty like this.
  5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

It's just a risk...

I had one, now I have two; twice as much to worry about. The second one is about 4" away from where it's been the past 3 months. There's just no cut/dry method to keeping them contained, the tank is the container. :p

I did go a while without one and I didn't mind it. I didn't really want this one, but we all know how that goes. :cool:

Mr. Bill, Vinnyboombatz and Swisswiss like this.
  6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

While I never had a nem injure or kill a coral, I have lost a few fish and shrimp that became dinner while trying to steal the nem's food. :oops::(:eek:

7. ncfishguy

ncfishguy Astrea Snail

Lookin at a bubble tip so tempting

8. Click Here!

9. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

My rbta has been a model citizen for 2 years. She has stayed exactly where I put her and when she split her clone has stayed right next to her.

My Colorado sunburst on the other hand is on her 3rd spot in 6 months and she almost killed off my Joes rainbow before I had a chance to move it. Right now she is sitting dead center of 3 or 4 medium sized prized sps colonies. I'm going to need to make a call at some point, but I forsee the Colorado getting rehomed.

Edit, my tank is a 150

Mr. Bill and Corailline like this.
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Wait you have a Joe's Rainbow!;) Why have I not seen it in the Acropora thread?:rolleyes:

It's my experience that a larger tank is advisable. The smaller the tank the greater the risk.

I recently removed my Carpet for fear the anemone would roam and kill corals or fall victim to a power head.

Maxi-mini anemones are small, do not move frequently but one of my mini's is rubbing up against the base of one of my acropora and causing it so much stress I must intervene.

The risk associated with housing an Anemone in a mixed reef is more then I am willing to tolerate.

zesty and Mr. Bill like this.