Need your tips MacGyvers

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Swisswiss, Jun 10, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

so im thinking of setting up a refu/sump and I have a billion ideas running through my head...dont worry ill only share two with you. My issue is that the intake and return section have to be side by side, so this eliminates the classic "intake left-->refu/sump center-->Return right" scheme.

but without further ado here are my ideas thus far. my two main concerns are...obviously will it work? and secondly will the auto topoff sensor work?

thank you, thank you!!!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You would have to use a very slow flow rate.90 Degree bends can create alot of turbulence and splashing.Microbubbles may be a problem.
    Why seperate them anyway?just use the center as your refugium.Left-skimmer auto topoff/ bubble trap/refugium/return compartment.Water does not have to trickle through a refugium to be effective in a closed system ime.Extra lr in the sump is not really necessary.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  4. Vinnyboombatz

5. Swisswiss

thx for the reply Vinny,

Hmmmm, I guess that would be the ultimate "keep it simple,stupid". I was thinking about extra live rock because i did go alot lighter on my aquascaping in the display this time round and im thinking lr is always a good thing. I admit i was convinced water needed to move slowly through the macro algae/lr before reaching the return to be an efficient filtering system...

also if i understood you correctly i would still need to seperate the intake section with the reefpack 505 (skimmer+filter) and the return/autotopoff section yeah?

something like this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  6. Vinnyboombatz

You will have plenty of hard surfaces for biofilm.We like lr because it is pourous thus having more surface area on which to grow.With that said your biofilm grows where it grows and doesn't necessarily have to be on the lr.You cannot stockpile bacteria as you know so all lr does is trap detritus in your sump.New tanks could have a good deal of bacteria growing on the glass/acrylic and you thought your tank was cycled clean the glass and kill it.Over time it will populate areas less disturbed by the aquarist or his/her animals.One reason an older tank is more stable then a newer one.The cycle never really ends it just becomes less toxic if we are carefull.;)

Mr. Bill likes this.
  7. Swisswiss