Need your advice on LED light fixture

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Alohastate335i, Jan 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Alohastate335i

Alohastate335i Fire Worm

I'm on the fence on ordering the new 32" controllable LED fixture from Reef Breeders but the only problem is that there are not a lot of reviews on it just yet. :confused: It has just about every feature I was looking for in a LED light but I'm not too sure on weather it would be a upgrade or downgrade with my current light fixture.

I'm currently using a 6 bulb T5HO 48" fixture with ATI bulbs. I love the light spread it has on my tank, the color it brings out in my corals and not to mention that my SPS are growing just fine.

I would like to get opinions for a non-sellers point of view so let me know what you think. Thanks!

Btw, my tank size is 90 gallon bow front 48" x 18" x 24

2. Click Here!

3. Wankell

Wankell Astrea Snail

If you like what you have, and its working, stick to it!

LEDs offer a shimmer effect and different type of spread with different colors. If you aren't used to it and like what you have now, you may not like LEDs.

Ultimately its preference, they all get the job done!

4. Alohastate335i

Alohastate335i Fire Worm

Thank you Wankell for your input!

Yes that is very true and I know the saying "if it aint broken then why fix it?" But some of the reasons why I'm considering LEDs are things like the shimmering effect, less heat output, energy efficiency and overall life of the fixture. Thats what I like that about LEDs.

What I don't know and is stoping me from buying is that if this fixture wont be as strong as my current setup either causing less growth in my corals or if the coverage of the light spread isn't enough for the size of the tank. Like for example the vendor said it'll be fine for a 48" but Idk what is considered fine.

5. Wankell

Wankell Astrea Snail

Well if that's the case then go for it! Definitely touches on all of those, mostly heat and power consumption. If you stick with the small pendants like the Aquatic Life Expert Series, EcoTech Radion, AI Sol, etc., your going to need 2 units, as they only cover a MAX of 20-24". Even then depending on the fixture it drops dramatically around the edges of the tank.

Without PAR readings its hard to say.

6. Alohastate335i

Alohastate335i Fire Worm

The more I read up on the fixture the more I sell myself into getting it. So I think I might just pull the trigger and place the order.

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

You could do 2 20 inch Razors