Need to stop GSP

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by SAY, Mar 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

okay i made the mistake of placing my GSP in the middle of my tank where it has, of course, spread considerably. i like it but want to stop its progress moving towards the left side of the tank. My RBTA seems to have stopped its progress going right and i would like to do the same on the left with perhaps a more aggressive coral (there is a narrow spot in the rock where i think i can place something to stop it). I guess I have two questions. First, what coral would you suggest. Second, am I asking for trouble with the chemicals that would be released by the coral fighting off the GSP. I know that i can continue to physically remove the portions that have spread but i haven't kept up and would like to put something in there to do the job for me if possible. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. i know the "kill the weed" comments are coming but i don't want to get rid of it just stop the spread. :)

SAY

by the way, the area is about 8 to 10 inches below a six bulb T-5 unit with medium flow.

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Sorry SAY, but short of nuking the tank or removing the problem rock, I can't help you. I tried to kill it by placing it in no light covered in sand upside down for 4 months and when I flipped the rock over it was still going strong!

4. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

lol! it must be stopped.

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I have a Zoanthus colony on either side of my GSP...and it has definitely kept it in check.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

grab a razor and a comfy chair, pull the rock out and cut as much off as u can.

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

really? i hadn't considered zoas. i guess that makes sense with the toxins they can release. thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

:) yes, i knew these comments were coming but i can't easily pull the rocks (yes, plural) out. i am looking for another way if there is one. otherwise, i will continue to physically remove portions. thanks.

10. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

get a razor blade and cut the matwhere you want it to stop. pull the unwanted parts off, attach to another piece of rubble wait 2 weeks and sell back to LFS(or send to D. Babcock,906 Argyle, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H*H-1*1;D)

11. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

no no NO! give it all to me ;D

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

been there done that.

IME, the GSP is also growing where you can not see it. It also grows under the rocks, out of view, to access other areas. It is quite possible you'll corral it in the center and then, one day, it'll pop up on the other side.

GSP does not need light to survive. It needs light to color up. (well it needs some light, but it seems to be fine if large stretches of it are in the dark and a whitish clear color).

When I got rid of mine, I thought I'd just have to pull one rock that it was growing on. It had turned out it was growing up inside and under that rock, through a hole in another rock and on the bottom side of several around it. It was a major pain but I am glad I finally nuked it out.

1 person likes this.