Need to know what lighting for 90g live rock tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by chala, Jan 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chala

chala Plankton

:smoke: :mellow: I have just the plain old florecent 40w light in my hood. I want to start getting things to grow on my rocks and be able to buy anenomes. I know 40w isnt crap but can i just buy another bulb that is cheap? How do I do this the cheapest way? THanks
    Check out my old 30g tank on youtube.com
    search for localacava.
    Jennifer8)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

well considering how deep a 90g. I would go for something like 2x400w hqi lights with some added either vho's or power compacts with actinics. 90g tanks are super deep. Be real hard to get the light to penetrate the bottom properly. If you dont have the money for the lights yet, you can do a FOWLR and save your money for the proper lights.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I ran a 90 for many yrs with 2. 175 M/H and 2. 48 in URI vho's for actanics SPS up mid way and to the top LBS and softs from mid way and to the bottm and Clams all over the rock and sand..

5. Peter@JAX

Peter@JAX Astrea Snail

I have a 90 FOWLR with 2 Coralife 48" Aqualight T-5 Fixture 28W 10K T5 bulb and 28W True Actinic 03 T5 bulb

I am in process of upgrading to 2 250-10k MH with PC Actinic

I have had good luck with my current setup - Coraline all over the 80lbs of rock in the setup

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Her tank is 48 x 18 x 25. 25 inches is pretty tall for a reef tank, especially with only NO flourescents.

7. chala

chala Plankton

Ok guys I dont understand

:confused: I'm not quite getting the lighting situation. Can you just tell me the cheapest most effiecent way to do it? I thought you could just buy the new hood for like 100 bucks - but then I've been seeing these metal halide bulbs and I know we have a few of them so what could I do with those?
    Thanks fellas
    Jennifer

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

4, 48 inch VHO's will allow you to keep a nice tank. I ran my old 90 a good while with just VHO's and kept clams and a couple of acros with just VHO's all softs and lps did very well in it. Then I went to the M/Hs But for now the VHOs will run away with what most beginners want to keep.