Need suggestions on lighting 7 gal tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by jwyatt81, Mar 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jwyatt81

jwyatt81 Plankton

I am wanting some suggestions on a good lighting setup for a 7 gallon tank. The tank is two years old. I was originally just going to do a fowlr tank with one or two clowns. I am now wanting to add some coral but don't have enough light for it to thrive.

Currently in the tank I have: 10 lbs live rock. 3 inch sand. 1 clown. 5 crabs. 2 nassarius snails. I put a zoa frag in last week just to see what it would do. All the polyps open up fully but the color is not very good.

I have not been able to find a light that I like for this setup so far. The tank is 17 inches wide. Any ideas as to a good light.

2. Click Here!

3. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

welll 7 gallon fish tank is a wierd sized tank...but you can go get some PC( Power compact) lighting and find one that has an adjustable fixture, mine is adjustable

1 person likes this.
  4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

13" Power Compact Refugium Sump Fish Aquarium Light 24W - eBay (item 110501922569 end time Apr-01-10 18:18:12 PDT)

1 bulb , 24w power compact. its $35 bucks shipped, but only 13" wide.. you'd have to modify the legs or make something to hold it up above your tank..

Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Aqualight Double Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

this ones 36 watts with 2 bulbs but only 12" wide.. and its like $60 shipped.

with either one you might have to make a little wood hood to house the fixture.. pretty easy..

1 person likes this.
  5. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

power compacts or t-5. MH would be way over kill.

1 person likes this.
  6. jwyatt81

jwyatt81 Plankton

7. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

besides looking awkward no. go for it! haha its your tank

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LEDS would be my choice for this small of a tank I lite out 12JBL with them worked great .Ballast /transformer blew after 5 yr in a salt covering and I have yet to replace it ..

1 person likes this.
  10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

it would be a waste of money and the extra 7" width of lighting will be wasted. if you go that route you might as well by a 24" wide tank.

IMHO

you could get a 12-13" and mount a bracket to the wall above tank, and hang fixture 4" with cables over open top tank too. if you dont want to make a custom hood.

1 person likes this.
  11. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

theres a mini on drsfosterandsmith.com for like 35 dollars. 9 watt 6700k and a actinic 9w. 18 watts for a 7 gal would be good for everything cept sps and clams.

1 person likes this.
  12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

How deep is this tank?

1 person likes this.