need some help

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ak47soulja22, Nov 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ak47soulja22

ak47soulja22 Flamingo Tongue

New to website just wanted to get some opinion. I have a 90 gallon standard drilled with a 30 gallon diy sump/refugium. I have a apex controller, a coralife 125 skimmer and 2x250w 15k metal halide lights with 4x54w t5s. I have a some what deep sand bed and in refugium deep sand with mud. I have mostly monti, turaki, green slimmer, hydropora, millipora, zoas,, and green favia. I have had no deaths in the tank, none of my fish have died (blue tang, purple tang, and coral beauty). I do 10 percent water changed every Monday. I use tropic marine pro reef salt mix. Here are my levels

Mg-1500 kh-14.1 alk-5.03-5.14 sal-1.026 temp 78.3 ph-8.2.

They have been like that for about 3 months. I have a ato that I put 1 tsp of mrs wages per gallon and it’s a 32 gallon brute. As of right now I do not have my calcium reactor up until I am comfortable with my levels. I dose Kent Turbo when the cal gets to around 400. The test kit I use is salifert and I have had a fellow club member test with elos (with nearly the same results).

My question is……. How do I get my levels down? Because I know that they are high but if they are fine I would like to turn the calcium reactor so I can stop dosing kent cal turbo. I understand I might have to dose alk and or cal maybe once in a while if the reactor doesn’t do the job.

Any help would be much thanked!

2. Click Here!

3. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

whats the alk(kh) of your fresh saltmix for wc? alk and kh is the same thing.
    should be between 10 and 12 dkh. the pickling lime is making it on the high side(assuming its 14.1 dkh). if fresh mix is on the low side, stop dosing the mrs.wages and with a few wc your alk will come down. everything else looks good. your cal should be around 450ppm

4. ak47soulja22

ak47soulja22 Flamingo Tongue

cal is at 440 right now and dkh is 14.
    thanks i will go ahead and drain about 3/4 of the water that the ato is in and fill it up with mostly freash rodi