need some help with sump

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by gwbh, Aug 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gwbh

gwbh Astrea Snail

Hi everyone, my first saltwater aquarium is on the way and I need some help. I have kept freshwater aquariums for 3 years so I dont know anything beyond that. I am going to learn everything needed to start before I put water in the tank, but I want to have the sump built as much as possible before I do. I am limited by space so I am getting a BC 14. My stand I am using will only fit a 5.5 gallon tank underneath the BC so I am locked in as far as sizes of sump and tank. I need a resource that will help me set up the sump from start to finish. I need to know how to build everything from start to finish. (I do realize I am going to need to get glass or acrylic and attach it with silicone, but not much beyond that.) I need to know what kind of equipment will fit in my small sump. I am planning on upgrading lights to nanotuner 60 W, i want to have more options on corals and inverts. If anyone wants impart some knowledge this way or share some opinions on the best way to set up the sump I would appreciate it.

Will

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

well, what type of sump are you looking to sump? (open plan, refugium, baffled)

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Why can't you use one of the Pre- made plastic containers, kinda like I did.

With a little imagination, ingenuitiy, a little DIY stuff, you can have the biggest possible sump for your space available, and a fraction of the cost, that works as good or better, and is changeable/modifiable too!

5. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

yeh, for small tight spaces, plastic containers will save you some decent cash if the look doesnt turn you off

6. gwbh

gwbh Astrea Snail

I dont know the terminology well, but i know I want to have a refugium with macro algae

7. gwbh

gwbh Astrea Snail

I didnt know about premade plastic contaniers, what kind of containers are you talking about? Sounds like a good idea there is a little extra space around the 5.5

8. Click Here!

9. gwbh

gwbh Astrea Snail

The look doesnt bother me its going to be in a cabinet, exactly what type of containers are you talking about?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  10. gwbh

gwbh Astrea Snail

After doing more reseach, mainly I need to know how to make a proper overflow and how to match flow rates, I know what baffling is but what is the purpose of it?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

For an overflow, the two main options are to drill the tank or to use a HOB overflow. I know the back of JBJ nano cubes can be drilled, but not sure about Biocubes. You may be able to get an Eshopps nano overflow box to fit.

Otherwise, you just need your drain to handle more flow than your return pump can put out. No need to try and match, just oversize your drain.

Baffles are used both as bubble traps, and to keep a constant water height. The water height is most important for skimmer operation for an in-sump skimmer.

1 person likes this.
  12. gwbh

gwbh Astrea Snail

How would the return be done, by that i mean where would the line go to on a BC?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013