Need some help with new tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Tundraburg, Aug 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Two Koralia 1's should work on your system and give you enough flow.

Gin

2. Click Here!

3. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

The main difference is that the Koralia powerheads have a ball and socket pivot. So. they can be aimed in any direction. They also come with a magnetic attachment that allows you to easily move them if you decide to change their location.

The maxi-jet pumps are cheaper and don't provide great flow unless you purchase a modification kit for them. They cannot be swiveled or aimed very well without modification either. These mod kits will come with a larger propellar and some come with a swivel attachment. mod kits are usually 15-20 bucks.

So for around the same money you could get a modified maxi-jet or koralia1. I have one of each in my 55g and think the moded maxi-jet would be too much flow in a tank that small, and it is hard to aim. I would definatly go with a couple koralia's, either 1's or nano's or one of each, this way when you start adding corals if one seems to like more or less flow you just aim your powerhead a little different.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  4. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

Here are some older pics that kinda show the two pumps. click to enlarge:

This one shows the modified maxi-jet and my kit did not come with a swivel attachment so it uses suction cups and cannot be easily moved or aimed.
    [​IMG]

This kinda shows both the koralia 1 is on the right front of the tank. Just so you can compare looks.

[​IMG]