Need some help with new tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Tundraburg, Aug 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

Well, all i can say is THANK YOU BOTH VERY MUCH, I can now sleep better with the information provided. Hopefully if i win the lights tonight I will be headign to home depot first thing tomorrow morning to get me some timers. Thank you both once again, extremely helpful. THANKS!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would have paid 10 NOT to go to home depot, lol. I still don't understand the success without service formula

4. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

YES!!! i won the auction, 36 for the light, 13 for s/h = 49. Going to home depot tomorrow to get me some timers...

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I'm sorry I got to this late!

I have 4x96 pc's on my 135 aqnd they put out a GREAT amount of light. I'm growing a pavona(just fragged for the first time btw), a Toadstool with a baby attached and another I fragged about 6 months ago, which the crown is as big as, let me see, it's kinda like bigger than a golf ball. It's very healthy. I've got one ricordia, which looks like it wants to split. There are xenia frags homegrown just sent me on Wednesday and I got them Thursday of last week and they are trying to pump...it's so sweet! A pretty big finger leather, which just had 4 fingers cut off for Homegrown. and my latest addition the Pink Palys, which are already multiplying. I counted 23 heads this morning. I also have a Haitian reef anemone. It's moving around, so, it might not be happy right now. I'm just finishing the cycle.

I like pc's in the right setting! My tank is 24" tall. Anything taller than that, then no, no PC's. I even get shimmer off the back of the glass!

6. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

Thanks cutting, i did some math which i know is right, so you have 4x96=384 total watts. So 384/135 gallon= 2.84 watt/gallon. In my tank i will have 130watt/20=6.5 watt per gallon. I do not know which is better but just based on that I believe that myabe, just maybe i will be able to grow similar corals to yourself, thanks.

7. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

I know what you are saying Pack, I usually go to lowes when I have to buy home improvement stuff. Just finished re-doing my whole kitchen down to the studs a month or so ago and I spent prolly a week in those stores if you add up all the trips. Anyway, Congrats on the Ebay win! Great pic up Tundra, we will expect pics once the lights get on the tank. :)

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yes, congratulations! You will love the improved lighting. It was probably the biggest "wow" factor type thing that I did to mine. All of the colors will become much, much more vibrant. And as Cuttin said, you will actually see "shimmers" through your water, akin to the way the sun shines through waves when your diving. Plus, much better health for ALL your tankmates!

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Im still going back and forth getting the stuff I need to just hang my friggin tank light from the ceiling, I couldnt imagine re-doing a kitchen out of one of those places!:eek:

11. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

That is correct Tundra. I would like to, in the future, or if I see one on ebay or craigslist that fits the budget, get another just like it. Then it would Rock!

Can't wait to see some pics with them on your tank. Make sure to take before and afters!

12. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

I was looking for soem powerheads as you guys recommended and a found a few, but i have a few questions about these.

First what is the major difference between Hydor Koralia Water Circulation Pumps(Water Pumps & Wavemakers: Hydor Koralia Water Circulation Pumps) and Hydor Koralia Controllable Pumps(Water Pumps & Powerheads: Hydor Koralia Controllable Pumps & Wavemakers Is it that one can be connected to the wavemaker controller and the other one cant? Are the regular pumps good ( the non controllable?)

More over would a Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump (Aquarium powerhead/water pump: Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pumps provide vital water movement) work the same as a Koralia???