Need some help with my paramaters

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by April Hope, Mar 8, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Hello again. I have recently delved into sps, a few chalices, stylos, and an acro or three. I've posted all below. My streaberry shortcake (which I don't think that's what it is) was browned out when I got it, I had it on the floor for about 4 days, moved it about mid way up, I noticed some bleaching, so I moved it to a lower light area after about a week. It's about 1/2 bleached now. I have one acro that I think is doing well, and a monti that I also think is doing well. Two stylos o attached pics, one who polyps have started receding and the other that is doing awesome!

And a chalice that frankly was terribly unhealthy when I got it. Looks the same now.

Here is my params.
    Saline: 1.025
    KH (whatever that is): 11 drops which appears to be 200ppm
    Nitrates: 20ppm
    Ammonia:0.00
    Phosphate: 0.25
    Calcium: 440
    Temp is consistent at 79 degrees

I know my nitrates are high.
    My lights are LED on from 4 pm sunrise to 11 pm sunset. Whites are about 40, the rest around 80.

We do water changes about 15-20% every weekend.
    Our tank isn't over stocked. No algae issues. Lots of cleaners, none seem to bother my coral.

I guess what I want to know is any ideas? And how can I bring my nitrates down. I'm running out of ideas. image.jpg

And I just watched my tube anemone eat my Fire fish! What the heck! (Totally unrelated). R.I.P. Jed!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

NO3, but specially PO4 are very high. SPS needs NO3 in range of 0-2 and PO4 at 0.0X something. 0.25 is too much.
    The white acro doesnt look bleached, but dead in the picture. And the fact that they are brown is due to high PO4/NO3. Bleached corals due to light looks whiter in exposed areas, but still have colors on shader areas (between branches). Yours looked white in shader areas - too low flow, too low light, too high NO3/PO4?
    I dont know the power of your leds and the sunrise / sunset timing, but 6 hours may be too short time. I have 11 hours with 2 hours ramp up and 2 ramp down.
    Try to reduce the NO3/PO4 levels by various methods like:
    - less feeding (you may feed too much?)
    - better flow / skimming (sps, depend by who will ask, but need massive flow - some may say 30X is decent, but is very common to have 50-75-100X flow in tanks) - SPS need that flow for breathing, but also will remove detritus on dead spots in the tank. And this flow as randomly and chaotic, as good for them.
    - for PO4 reducing - there are tons of chemicals which can be put in reactors and absorb this from water (phosban, etc)
    - for NO3 reducing - biopellets, vodka/vinegar dosing, etc
    - for NO3+PO4 reducing - algae scrubbers, macro algae in sump or RS NoPoX dosing (this is what I am using with good results) µ

I made same mistake with my first Acro - dropped in tank with NO3 at 40. Next day, from a beautiful green coral, I found in tank a brown stick with bottom part white. I thought that is too low light, so I ramped up the leds to full blast - so top part become a light bluish area (but then I saw difference in color between dead skeleton and bleached tissue :) )

SPS need LOT of light, LOT of flow, VERY stable water and as pristine possible (some reefers prefer to have NO3 at a bit above 0 - some 0.25, some 0.5, some 1) and small traces of PO4, but this is to feed corals and enhance colors. Still a bit too high and they are badly affected.

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Your coral don't look that bad. It is so difficult to keep every coral happy, given the wide range of parameters each coral does well in. I'd guess maybe a lighting issue? I think your tank looks good tho.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Your phosphates are fine and nitrates aren't that terrible. It looks like the first acro has tissue necrosis. I agree with civic, corals don't look that bad. You won't keep every coral happy, especially sps. Keep with water changes and it will level out.

Animals3269 likes this.
  6. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

We all at some point have nitrate issues and phos

You can do 2 water changes a week which will help but you need to find the source of the issues.

I found that the following helped in reducing my nitrates.

replace filter floss 1x a week or more

I rinse out my carbon bag at every water change and change it out completely every 4-6 weeks

Vacuum short sand bed lightly every water change

Use the turkey baster to my rocks to blow detritus off them at every water change

Clean out all equipment every 4-6 weeks

Reduced the amount I fed

This all really helped my tank my nitrates consistently stay at 5 and 0 phos

Is there anything you are adding to the water like zooplankton, colour enhancers etc?

SAW39 likes this.
  7. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Thank you. I think everything is ok but the SPS! My jack-olantern lepto is starting to die too! I started dosing some Red Sea and my nitrates are slowly coming down.