need some help picking out the right coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Anthony Danta, May 1, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthony Danta

Anthony Danta Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

so I wanted to add some life higher up in my rockwork I don't want to jump into to SPS I have a frogspawn and a hammer about midway up in my tank anyways I'm looking for some ideas on what would work good up high in my tank I have a current orbit USA currently so it isn't a very intense light I don't have pictures on this computer to show my layout but my thread is under show off your tanks 46 gallon bow front just added a recent FTS last week thanks for the help in advance

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

if you wanted to do you could do some easier, less demanding sps.. montis and birdsnest are pretty easy to grow.

as far as lps you could try some acans, some of my acans like more intense lighting that others. just make sure they arent getting a whole lot of flow... I have also had success with torches to do well higher up in a a tank with a good bit of light..

But i would get at least a monti cap a try.. for sps they are easy and sounds like it would be your best bet... lps high in a tank with a lot of light can be a coin flip.. you may have to start something and see how it does.. you may have to move it down to lower lighting down the road..

4. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

you could also try some galaxia. mine prefer high flow and high lights. they're beautiful once entrusting but make sure you have nothing around it to sting!

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

As long as your params are stable you can try a montipora cap or Digitata. I wouldn't do acans up high but I'm sure it's possible. Also, try to pick and place corals in areas you know they'll grow into, try to envision that coral growing next to another because what you buy now may limit the choice of a nice coral in the future.

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

My neon green trumpets looked like crap until I put them up in my tank and with some flow.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Mine did too, they loved light

zesty likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

And they are really neon! I don't think I'd have much of an interest in them, if they didn't glow like a nightlight!

10. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Yeah like mentioned monti and birdsnest are good. Might technically be spa but not lik acros. I love monti caps

11. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

You know... I may get aiptasia thrown at me, but when culterured and understood where these corals can spread to, can be a great addition to the tank.

GSP, galaxea, they add some great motion, color and aren't demanding, can take the pounding of the light and keep on going.

Also, torches look so cool! I don't know if they can handle a higher flow, but I think people place them up higher in the tank. I need to make room for a gold torch!

12. SH4GGY

SH4GGY Plankton

Montipora or a Finger leather would be my pick for higher up in the tank.