Unresolved Need some help might be the wrong forum

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by reefcreators, Nov 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefcreators

reefcreators 3reef Sponsor

I have been trying to grow some magro algae in a bucket. I have had it for several weeks and not sure if it's growing much but have noticed what looks like green sprouts that are slimy so i took a pick as maybe this is not what i want growing in there.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

That looks like a different species of algae growing over the red algae (Gracilaria?).

4. reefcreators

reefcreators 3reef Sponsor

Yes correct and that is what i was thinking but wanted to ask before i go and pull it off.

5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Yup Yup, clean it off. Gracilaria will just lengthen out then branch, just like a tree branch.

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

That green stuff looks like Ulva, to me, not Gracillaria. It grows well, and ends up being long, 2"-3" wide green ribbons of macro that can get pretty long.

You can't see it real well, but the green stuff in this photo (and in the mouth of the perturbed lionfish) is Ulva, which came in on the back of a snail:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  7. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I meant the red algae in the picture looked like Gracilaria, not the green one. Tough to tell what the green algae is.