Need some help deciding

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Piano10, Apr 12, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I was running my 15g tank with an aquaclear filter with only filter floss and carbon(i'd prefer another option than the filter but can't do a sump)

Anyways I had a surface skimmer attached and it worked great, no film at all...during my monthly equipment cleaning the surface skimmer broke(the stick that turns is stuck!!)

As much as it works great, its an eyesore in the tank.

API has a filter which has dual intakes, looks like a surface skimmer/filter. All the reviews are good on the filter.

I was thinking of going with this option instead of replacing the eyesore surface skimmer.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I think that should work fine as long as you have some other kind of flows that helps move all of the surface water towards the HOB filter. I too run just a HOB filter and don't have a sump on my 20L. I noticed that since it was at one end of the tank, if I didn't have good surface agitation from my mp-10 on the other end, a film built up on that end.

4. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I'm going to try it. I know most aren't fans of Api but it has great reviews.

No matter how much flow I have or how much water mov't at the top, i always get a film until I had the surface skimmer...but its ugly and broken nowo_O

I have a koralia 420, sicce 2(530 gph) and my current filter which 100gph... i thought it would be enough but nope.

Thanks