Need QUIET Return Pump. Which One?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by fishflyer, Nov 5, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

NEED QUIET RETURN PUMP
    OK this same question has been asked a bunch as I have been checking the past threads. But I need the current consensus.

The most important thing above all is QUIET. I have most experience with Rio pumps. I have had 5 including two HF and half of them were dead silent and the other half were not at all!

I have been thinking MAG or Silent One what do you think?

The setup

I will need a return pump that will be pumping a little over 5.6' total and it will have as few bends as possible but there will be a few for sure.

Once the water makes it it to the top of the stand I want a "T" at the back of the tank that will rout the water. One side of the T will go to a SCWD and be routed to the back corners of the tank with loc-line tubing (3/4'') and the other side of the T will be the centered on the tank with a loc-line "Y"(1/2'') So four return tubes in the tank total.

Turn Over
    The tank is 30 gal and to total system will be aprox 75gal so I am thinking that I want to turn over at least the tank vol 10x min. But if I turn over the total vol. 10x I am looking at 750gph which will blow the hell out of everything. So I am thinking about pumps around the 500gph to account for the head press, pipe curves and 4 total returns.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Mag drives are the best IMO! I have a 9.5 as a return pump from my sump to tank and a 7 for my AquaC EV180 protein skimmer! You may want to check into the Mag12!

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

A Mag 9.5 will run away with that not a problem.. Thats what I would use I use on a 40+ gal flat back hex with a 10 gal sump and it rolls the water internaly I made my return line from 3/4 PVC and a loop over the tanks rim with using 3/4 street ells.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Eheim or Ocean Runner (Aquamedic) if your looking for quiet.

6. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

I use a Little Giant external pump it has been running for five years non-stop very quiet and never had any issues with it. Ok one time a snail made its way in there but I just took him out and it kept running.

7. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks for the input. 2 votes for the mag and I have heard nothing bad about Eheim. I'll check into those.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would Go Eheim or Blue line if it can be external

J