need opinions for coral

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by jonathan, Apr 12, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

i have a nice little cave within my rockwork and was hoping to find a species that would do well in a shaded area with dim lighting from a halide. i thought about a sun coral but i don't want to make the extra effort into feeding each polyp. does someone have any suggestions? all replies would be helpful.

thanks,
    jonathan

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Without knowing what you mean by "dim" this is a difficult question to answer. You might want to try a hardy soft coral like a ricordea or other mushroom polyp.

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

i say sponge. If you want a coral who is not photosynthetic you are gonna have to feed it. Sponges will require spot feeding every now and then to keep them well fed since they are always eating.

5. jonathan

i suppose i was thinking of a non-photosynthetic coral that is "easier" to maintain....thanks for the replies.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Most non-photosynthetic corals require feeding. As they do not get food from symbiotic photosynthetic organisms. It's going to be really hard to find something

7. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

Just a thought, a lot of the salt mixes contain plenty of substances that some coral require for food. I've got some clove polyps in my tank and I only put some additional food in for them once a week and they are doing great.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Nonphotosynthetic corals require zooplankton and/or phytoplankton. Not something that's likely to be found in any salt mix. Clove polyps get the majority of their nutrition from photosynthesis but do benefit some from filter feeding.

10. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I really honestly think you are not gonna find anything that is non-photosynthetic and does not require spot feeding. Trust me, if they dont get it from light, they get it from the water. You're gonna have to make the effort to spot feed if you wanna plan on doing what you are planning on that cave. I dont think there's anything out there that will sit in a low light area and thrive without any attention to it.

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I have an idea. Why even go with a coral! Get a giant feather duster! I have 6 different large fan worms. (One Coco Worm) They are great and love the shade :) I dont spot feed them at all, they eat when i dose the tank to feed the corals.

12. jonathan

again everyone, thanks for the replies. i may end up with an easy to keep polyp that may enjoy a little shade as opposed to directly under the halide. who knows, the area may just end up being a nice safe haven for fish or invertebrates. however, i do like the idea of a coco worm...hmmmmm.