Need opinion about stand and canopy

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Midnight_Madman, Sep 12, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I setting up my 90 gallon as a fowlr It has a AGA pine stand and canopy and I keep thinking about painting it black.
    I was curious what everyone else thinks of this, is it worth the work?... I think the black may look better for a saltwater FOWLR tank but not really sure its worth how much work is involved. I would need to paint the tanks bottom frame as well because its the brown plastic with the printed wood grain.

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

You could always sand it down and stain it black instead of paint. Just tape up the wood surface and spray paint the plastic stuff.

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

You could always sand it down and stain it black instead of paint. Just tape up the wood surface after staining then spray paint the plastic stuff.

5. Midnight_Madman

I would think staining it would be harder then scuffing and painting?

6. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Nah an old T-shirt and some Minwax and tape you can end up with something like this. Then if you really want to get fancy you can get clear coat on it. Minwax has it already in with the stain. So it would just be extra protection.
    IMG_4456.jpg IMG_4465.jpg

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Kinda depends where you are putting it and what colors are in that room. The setup I have, originally had a black stand with it, but I ended up rebuilding a new stand and going with a weathered wood color to fit in with the colors in my house. Black has a clean look and with FOWLR it won't pop out and take away from the fish.

8. Click Here!

9. Midnight_Madman

That's what I'm thinking, our floors are a darker wood then the pine stabd and it sort of clashes.

10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I have been thinking of staining mine almost black, problem is it is already up and running. Don't know that it is possible at this point for me.

11. Midnight_Madman

So opinion wise, people do agree that black looks better with a saltwater setup then natural wood... I think so

12. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I would say it depends on what your woodwork and furniture are in the house. If you have natural oak or pine with cherry or lighter stain the lighter stain existing would look better. If you have dark wood floors and your furniture is dark in color, then darker stain or black paint would look best. If you are married, ask your wife, she will tell you exactly what color to make it if she is anything like my wife.;)

Vinnyboombatz likes this.