Need new return pump

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by CBSurfrider, Jun 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Not sure if this constitutes an emergency or not. My return pump is making screeching noises followed by pushing air bubbles out into my tank through the returns. I thought I fixed it by flushing my pump in a bucket of vinegar, but it's doing it again. I want to buy a new return pump ASAP before this one quits on me. My tank is 300gal, 61" head height. I'm thinking a 1200gph? Any particular brand you all can recommend? Thank you

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

i would look for something with 1200-1500gph with head loss. if you get 1200gph it wont be near that once it gets to the tank. as for pumps I always have run magdrive pumps but they definitely aren't a fan favorite.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Get a DC pump. I got the reef octopus which is a jebao with slightly different accessories.
    Not sure if it's out yet but a Reef Octopus rep told me they've had a lot of trouble with the jebao version and are coming out with their own version that will be white. I'm happy with mine but it's only 8 months old.

5. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

DC pumps are the big rage right now for good reason.

1. They are controllable
    2. They are extremely Quiet
    3. Use much less electricity

what pump do you have now? is it an external one? could be a bearing. I have a Jebao DC6000 and Love it. its a bit small for your 300 gallon tank but a DC12000 would be perfect..

CBSurfrider likes this.
  6. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Honestly I have no clue off the top of my head what brand it is. It's an internal pump that came part of the sale with my 300. Funny how it hasn't made a noise since I put this thread up. I'm going with the DC12000 when I get a new one. I'm focusing on a RO/DI unit first of the month.

7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I purchased a Reeflo Dart. runs quiet and has plenty of power. It's an external pump. Comes with two impellers one pushes more water than the other.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If it is blowing bubbles there may be a leak in your plumbing.:(
    Check all fittings.Good luck.

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I would not ever recommend any Jebao made DC pump to anyone (including enemies) as a return pump. This includes all the pumps made by them under various names.
    1. They are controllable. (Not sure how this feature is really helpful in a return pump.)
    2. They are extremely quiet (As are many European made pumps with the same flow rate)
    3. Use much less electricity (No less than other pumps with the same flow rate)
    My main problem with these pumps is reliability. You have to ask yourself, “What failure rate is acceptable for a return pump?”
    There are many other issues that concern me as well however, we can discuss that later.
    I would recomend a pump like the Fluval Sea SP4 or SP6 (dialed back with a ball valve) but it really depends on what pump you are replacing to give you a more tailored recomendation.

If the pump you are replacing is internal, you may have other issues you are not addressing rather than a pump problem.

Corailline and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  11. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I appreciate your position. I've had great success with mine So im speaking from there. Also if u read my post you would see I referenced DC pumps and then spoke on what I have.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

That's basically what the reef Octopus rep told me. They had a lot of issues with the Jebao made Reef Octopus and are now making their own version.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.