Need New CF Bulbs- Want my soft corals to fluoresce!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Astrick117, Oct 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Hey Everyone,

I need to get new 65w CF's for my 30" Current USA Orbit. I have seen so many pictures of tanks with bright beautiful corals and my current bulbs don't seem to be doing the trick.

Right now I have two 65w CF's on my 24g Aquapod. One bulb is a 6,700K/ 10,000K SmartPaq and the other is a 420nm/ 460nm actinic.

Anyone have suggestions of how to get the desired fluorescence using my current set-up, just with a new combo of bulbs?

Also, I am not looking to "upgrade" to another lighting system as I hope to move to a 55g not too far in the future.

2. Click Here!

3. rainmkr07

rainmkr07 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The quick answer is: you can't with CF's. The best you could do is get actinic bulbs, but they don't have the pop that T5s or LEDs do.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Buy the 10000K/420nm combo for both bulbs. You will get good fluorescing for about 3 to 4 months IME.

+1 to rainmkr's comment otherwise. It will be cheaper overall to change to T5HO since you don't need to change bulbs every 6 months and will use less electricity. You will also be able to keep more light requiring animals in more locations in your tank. LED will give you even lower electricity costs and much longer life.

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned, I don't want to buy a new light for my Aquapod right now because I am hoping to move to a 55g soon. I just need to find a new home for my freshwater tank first...

As a side note, I do have a 24" Coralife t5, but it only has two 24w (I think) bulbs. Would that be better to use? I just figured the 2 65w CF's would pump out so much more light. I only have soft corals though...

6. rainmkr07

rainmkr07 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

honestly. i will wait for others to chime in to confirm, but I would venture a guess the 48w of t5ho would put out higher par readings than 130w of CF. and those would give you the pop you're seeking.

7. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

+1 to the 2 t5's.

You could play with the bulb type more. Just not many choices in the way of CF's. I just started my 30g and was considering using CF's for budget reasons, but after researching them I decided on t5. I'm glad I did.

8. Click Here!

9. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

ya...they may not give off more par but i think it will be sufficient for your softies. and with some ATIs (aqua blue and a Blue +) you will get fluorescence, i guarantee that!

1 person likes this.
  10. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

So since I have two 24w bulbs to work with, what do you recommend?

11. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

+1 to benbabcock. ATI's are what most will recommend. That combination will give you a bluer look that should make your colors pop.

12. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

why not run both?