Need Major Help - Crazy Disease

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Coral Falconer, Oct 29, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Coral Falconer

Coral Falconer Plankton

Please take a look at my pictures......I have an emperor angel who seems to be infected with everything in the book. The weirdest symptom is his eyes are clouded over and there are PARASITES in them! Two flat, rice-shaped bugs swimming around in each eye, and no they are not bubbles! Take a look at the pictures, they explain it all. Then he has been scratching on one side, so his scales are rubbing off - you can see this just behind his frayed fin. He has white spots EVERYWHERE - and not ich-sized spots, like polka dots the size of an "o" on this post, all over his body including his tail! These spots appear slightly raised. He also has red spots slightly smaller - I tested my water parameters, no ammonia burn - and he has ich as well! What the hell is this???? He is breathing AND swimming just fine, no lethargy, and eating but having trouble since he can't see very well at all. Besides the one frayed fin on the left side, his fins are in perfect condition - no one is attacking him and I do not believe whatever he has causes fraying. I dosed the tank with copper out of frustration, and that has not helped one bit. Someone please tell me what to do, even if you don't know what it is, is there an antibiotic that can take care of this???? And does he have any chance at all of making it out of this mess alive? Thanks so much - Summer

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. bulltrader

bulltrader Bristle Worm

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ouch...try to get id'd before adding any meds. Wait few days...maybe just damage caused by other fish or all that rubbing. Water params checked and rechecked?

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

if your gonna treat with copper or a strong medication a quarintine tank is a must. the live rock in the background with other reef organisms may perish, your lible to loose everthing in the tank fixing this one fish. some of what your explaining sounds like an ammonia burn, a parasite and ich, hard to tell. heres a generic website to start with Saltwater Fish Disease

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Ive seen that before, pretty recently as a matter of fact, lol. Lost all fish to it. You are dealing with parasitic dinoflagelettes. Good luck! Formalin dips would knock it off, but it doesnt kill the eggs.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Here is a macro of what was on my clowns

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. bulltrader

bulltrader Bristle Worm

hey reef guru, that's a great site!!

10. Coral Falconer

Coral Falconer Plankton

Yes, water params checked, I thought ammonia burn initially but the water is almost perfect, nitrates barely above 0, like at 5. No ammonia. The other fish aren't touching him. Dinoflagellates? I think that may be on track because there are definitely bugs in his eyes. :(

11. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Many times they come home sick

HI,
    many petstores are loaded with disease due to stress and constant cycling of new fish and large amounts of animals . Its really hard on animals to be shipped in plastic bags and then be dumped in the tank and sold the next day. SOme petstores don't sell fish till they have acclimated to their tanks a couple weeks, this weeds out the damaged goods from shipping stress.
    Many new fish to a tank can become sick, I believe if they are fed well and healthy they will become immune with time.
    Many foods seem to help improve health, my favorite is the green flakes with garlic already added, I always feed a little of that daily and then my frozen planktons and other types , I don't feed frozen brine, many people say it has the food value of cotton candy.

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

geekdafied this question is for you, would a ( fresh water/ very low salinity ) dip take care of the problem?
    you seem to know your stuff.