Need ID on Weird Discs

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I have a strange infestation of these weird flappy discs than are multiplying across my glass. At first I thought it was a strange algae but then I realized they were cruising around on the glass and touching things! :eek:

Most of them are kinda hour glass shaped and seem to have some kind of mouth and a tail.

I siphoned them out yesterday and they are back in strength today. :-/

Any guess?

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Good luck Matt that sounds like a lot of work to get rid of them :-/....... John

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah it does, bummer! :p

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

DOH! I hate those little boogers :( Not sure if chemical treatment is a good idea in a 20 gallon though. Have you decided how you're going to treat them?

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I was thinking I'd siphon a couple more times and maybe add a powerhead. They seem to be collecting where there is low flow.

I ordered that salifert stuff too, but that will be a last resort. They seemed to show up after I turned my heater up. Not sure if that has much to do with it or not.

:-/

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Don't know about the increase in temps but the addition of the powerhead and siphoning should help. You'll also want to keep detritus and algae to a minimum as they feed on it as well as being photosynthetic....adaptable little b*stards! :)

A good trick for saving time when siphoning is to fix a strong beam of light on a particular section of your glass, wait for the worms to congregate then siphon away. Best to do shortly after the lights go out.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks. I'll try that. Looks like I have hours of fun ahead. ::)

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Ain't nature grand? :) Try to avoid squishing them if you can or you'll only make a bunch of little flatworms.

If you're lucky, they will go away with little work on your part. Sometimes, however, the populations get so large that they eventually crash and burn. This can wreak havoc in your tank as flatworms release toxins when they die. :(

PS. Thanks for the karma Matt! :)