Need ID help,light emitting from rock,yea thats right

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by grinder37, Feb 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Hey all,it's been awhile,but I need an ID if anyone can.I figure it is something bioluminescent,but what???

Best shot I can get that shows the light-it is just above the shroom at about 11 o'clock.The size of this light is pinpoint or smaller,seems to be peeking through a pore in the rock.

I'm aware how this may sound but noticed this last night as wife asked to to turn the moonlights off,they were keeping her awake (she did have to work early and the moons are pretty bright),but after killing the light,i'm lying in bed finishing a smoke staring at a dark ceiling when I notice a little light dot on my ceiling.I know,it sounds funny,but it's green and looks like a laser light dot from one of my gun sights but much,much smaller,however,just as bright.

Well,never gave it much thought thinking it was a reflection off of any number of gizmo leds on my electronics (tv,bluray,laptop,etc),but after putting out my cig and rolling over,facing the tank,there it is.It wasn't just glowing but actually emitting a beam of light from this rock.

I stared for a good while watching this.Theres no movement,but it does twinkle or glitter,this,I am assuming is reflection from the surface agitation.Anyhow,I awake today,the sun is shining,tank lights and other light in the room are on and this thing is still there.Pic is taken with the tank lights and room lights on.

My tank (20g) has been set up for a few months now.It's not the first time the tank has been black at night and the tank is in my bedroom on the wall facing my side of the bed,but it is the first time i've seen this.All the rock was bought locally and from a running mature tank,fully cured.

I've been all over google and found some folks having bioluminescent critters or weird lights,but they all either moved,indicating something live while others found it to be a reflection or something similar,but I think i've ruled that out too.I've even held a mirror up to it and can shine the point of light all over my room,lol.

Anybody got a clue?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

It could possibly be the reflection of Bubble Algae. Do you have Bubble Algae in your tank?

Edit: Just reread the post. It's strange that it emits light at night as well. Not sure :-/

4. grinder37

Hey Cam.No,there's no bubble algae in the tank,bit of green hair,but very minor and not anywhere near this.

5. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Yeah I don't think it would be Bubble Algae anyways, considering it glows at night :p I hope someone else can figure it out.

6. grinder37

I appreciate the try bud,but i'm really just asking for a possible ID out of this because I am more curious than concerned.;).It is pretty cool looking.You can spot it in the pic,right?

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it's the little itty bitty dot of light right at 11:00 on the shroom?

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

yes,the tiny green "speck" 11 o'clock just above the mushroom.

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Go clean your glasses Grinder you have a spot on them again.lol Whats up G????

11. grinder37

I was thinkin little aliens shooting laser signal to the mothership,but idk :cheesy:.It is weird though.How ya been buddy?

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Awww I need the group hug icon....... :tongue3: Nice to see you grinder.

So this thing never moves?

Where did the rock come from?

Could this be the reflection from an eye ball on say a Mantis?