Need help with soft corals.

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by jpmorley, Nov 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jpmorley

jpmorley Astrea Snail

I have had this tank for a year and keep making small improvements. I dose kalk w/strontium every day to maintain pH at 8.0-8.2 using a continuous read pH meter which is calibrated. Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are zero. Phospates are close to zero and I use a poly filter in the refugium for mechanical and chemical filtration (phosphates, etc.). Kent liquid reactor is added periodically. Calcium is 360. So everything seems like it ought to be fine but my corals are beginning to struggle (not opening fully or at all). I don't do anything to feed the corals (torch, toadstool, fiji leather, and colt). I change about 10-15% of water weekly sing RO/DI water and Reef Crystals.
    Does anyone have an idea why the colt and torch corals are doing poorly? Fiji leather and toadstool seem OK.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Try altering the water flow(movement)!

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Your calcium is a bit low IMO. What are your alk and magnesium levels at.

5. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Check your temp and salinity, whenever I see my corals struggling I stop adding any chemicals to my tank for at least one week-some corals seem more sensitive than others- I don't know if that will help you but it has worked for me in the past- if things don't get bette or apear worse I will usually do several water changes in a weeks time-

6. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

If you are adding kalk, why are you adding the liquid reactor as well? They are both for calcium. The kalk on it's own should do. I would check your alk levels as it works with calcium. I would get your ca to 400ppm and the alk between 8 - 10dkh. Calcium is important as well as alk and this could be causing the problems! If you have a problem with the ca and alk I would advise getting a 2 part additive like esv bionic. It's easy to use, and worked for me. Are you testing strontium? As far as I have heard when it deals with strontium, iodine, and iodide you should only supplement these if needed and only while testing because you can overdose on these elements. These are trace elements which are usually in calcium supplements and they should be replenished with every water change you do. You may be overdosing the strontium. Check that.

7. usmc121581

usmc121581 Astrea Snail

I use the same stuff and never run into a problem. Although my corals are not opening up right now due to I added 2-250w MH on top of my 265 watts I had.

8. Click Here!

9. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Ahh, I heard that can happen when changing your lighting, they need to acclimate and then they will open up again.