Need help with kalk please

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by kss2801, Apr 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

Is this because you can't safely add enough kalk to raise levels by any substantial amount?
    Not disagreeing here btw, just trying to understand.
    What abt my Mg, does kalk drop mag or can I have that much of a Mg demand?
    Do you dose Mg on you tank?

2. Click Here!

3. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

The amount of kalk needed to raise the Calc & Alk levels would probably raise the ph.

Kalk is also limited by evaporation and saturation. You can only add as much saturated kalkwasser as there is tank water evaporating.

Mag demand tends to be slow compared to Calc & Alk. I rarely dose mag.

I'm not sure if low Calc or Alk can effect Mag readings.

1 person likes this.
  4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Magnesium should not drop noticeably, unless there is a lot of abiotic precipitation. This can sometimes occur in new tanks, if new sand and rocks are added, for example. Mg test kits don't seem to be that accurate either. I recently was using a Red Sea kit and it seemed to vary by about +/- 200ppm between readings. So, as long as you didn't try dosing the mg at the same time as the kalk, I'd guess testing error on that one.

Also, you'll want to get the alk and ca up quickly if you plan to keep any hard corals. They won't do well at those numbers. Some soft corals may even have issues at those numbers. You'll probably need to raise your ca and alk with another method though, such as 2-part. From there you can maintain the levels with kalk.

1 person likes this.
  5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

You don't want to raise your levels of calcium or alkalinity by dosing kalk... it's also only good for maintaining levels when you don't have a high consumption rate... if you maintain a lot of SPS corals, clams, etc, you may need additional supplementation like a calcium reactor or dosing two part.

Refer to this calculator to figure how much you will need to dose of what product to raise to the desired levels:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Note that there are products in the selection that you can use other than "two part" such as baking soda for alkalinity and Anhydrous CaCl2 or Calcium Chloride Dihydrate, the latter of which are commercially available de-icing products.

Since you cannot get two-part, it may benefit you to find another source for your needs.

Also, BRS, Bulk Aquarium Supplies - Reef Aquarium Supplies | BulkReefSupply.com may be able to ship to you for your 2 part needs, and since you can buy in bulk from them, it may not be cost-prohibitive if they will ship to you.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Oh yes, sorry, forgot you couldn't get 2-part easily. Any calcium and alk supplement will do. There are a lot of separate calcium and alkalinity supplements. Also there are some diy supplements. I don't think you will need a lot. Just enough to get your levels up. Once you do that, you probably won't need any, unless you have a LPS or SPS dominated system, or a tom of coralline algae. In these cases, kalk may not be sufficient alone.

1 person likes this.
  7. kss2801

I spoke to the LFS guy and he said he will be bringing in two part with his next shipment, so until then I will continue to drip kalk and do some big water changes to try to bring my parameters up a bit.
    I am also thinking of switching from IO to CL salt for some elevated Ca and Mg.
    I think the Mg could have been an error, but I used a salifert kit, which is pretty easy to use. I do have a lot of coralline though, not that many hard corals yet. Hopefully the water changes will help this anyway.
    Definitely no de-icing products available here, people might look at me like I'm crazy if I ask for it. lol
    Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it. k+

8. Click Here!

9. dweakl01

dweakl01 Astrea Snail

You could just order two part dry elements online and mix it yourself to save buying a pre-mixed version (you're buying water). It's a lot more economical. I won't mention where to buy it, so I don't step on any sponsor's toes. But a quick Google search should yield the top few results for ya.

1 person likes this.
  10. kss2801

Thanks. I'll look into that. Might just need a little of whatever i use though, just to get the levels up, then I'll maintain them with kalk.

11. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

1 person likes this.
  12. kss2801