Need help with kalk please

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by kss2801, Apr 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

Ok, well it has been sitting for about 3.5 hrs now and it's still a bit cloudy. I'll wait a bit longer I guess.

2. Click Here!

3. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

It will be a bit cloudy. I drip everyday now. But there should be a big difference from when you originally stirred it and now. it is not needed to wait past 2 hours. I mix mine around 9 and start the drip before bed. Normally around 11.

1 person likes this.
  4. kss2801

Good to know. Thanks.
    I just dosed some magnesium(epsom salts) though, so I think I'll wait until tmr to start the drip.

5. kss2801

So I started my drip this morning but I think I have it set too slow. About 1 drop every 3-4 seconds. It's been about 8 hrs and the level in the bottle has only slightly dropped. At this rate it will take about 3 days to drip 1 gallon of mix.
    I have an 80g display and 50g sump, so maybe 110g of water. This mix was 1tsp in a gallon of RO, what's a good drip rate?
    When I up it to 2tsp, what would be a good drip rate then?

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I get over 1.5 gallons of evaporation per day. So, I drip a bit faster; about 3 drops per second. This is fairly fast, but you can still see the drops. I've calculated at this rate, you can replace up to about 3.5 gallons per day IIRC. I have it set a bit faster than necessary though because I have my ato pump pluged into a pH controller, which shuts off the pump if the pH gets too high. At this rate, the local pH of my sump can get high quick actually. So, I would recommend slower on a gravity drip, but 1 or 2 drops per second should even be fine. There are a lot of variables though, such as sump through put and volume. Amont of pumps and mixing occurring in the sump etc...

1 person likes this.
  7. kss2801

Well I have a very low turnover in my sump because it's mainly just a fuge. It's also pretty big, 50g, most of that is water.
    I have it up to about 1 drop per second, I think that should be good for now.
    I have it dripping at the output of a waterfall style HOB power filter I have on my sump to hold chemipure, so it's getting mixed pretty well.
    I think at this rate the gallon of mix will be done well before a day though. Is this ok? or too quick?
    Thanks for all the help.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

It's good to start off dripping slowly while testing. I try to drip just enough to keep Alk from dropping.

1 person likes this.
  10. kss2801

Sounds like a plan. I'll test after I drip two gallons of the solution, so probably tmr.

11. kss2801

Ok, so I dripped two gallons, 1 was 1tsp kalk the other 2 tsp.
    I just tested my water and got the exact same readings;
    Ca - 340 ppm
    Alk- 5 dkh

My Mg was 1200 before I dosed epsom salts, I dosed 500 g of epsom salts which was supposed to send my Mg to above 1300 ppm, I just tested and I got 1130 ppm.
    I'm really confused. What should I do?

12. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

The Kalk keeps the Calcium and Alkalinity levels from dropping, but it shouldn't raise them. I use a 2 part additive to raise the Calc and Alk to where they should be. At that point the Kalk drip is used only to maintain the levels.