need help with GBTA

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by oldfishkeeper, Jun 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hi All: I have a really pretty GBTA that has slowly been shrinking - I can't figure out why and I'm not sure what to do. I have moved it (it's firmly attached to the rock I purchased it on) to lower in the tank and then back up higher. I've tried feeding it a couple of times - any advice on what could be happening to it or what I can do? I have a RBTA that is thriving so I don't think it could be parameters.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What are you feeding?

With your lighting feedings need not be frequent.

When anemones clone or split or are cut it has been suggested that occasional not all the genetic material needed makes the transfer, specifically that material that goes on to become the gut/digestive track.

You already know it will go where it needs to go and moving it only adds stress, must resist.

You can try a water change but other than that you can only really change the food type and hope for the best. Sometimes these things are out of our control. I would still check water chemistry thoroughly though.

DSC reef, Vinnyboombatz and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. SeaMonster

SeaMonster Astrea Snail

How long have you had it?
    I was once given a RBTA that disappeared as soon as I put him in the tank. He was not seen for 4 months. Then he appeared and grew to monstrous size

5. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

usualy the anemonee will move wo there it feels happy. Lord knows mine have walked all over my tank.

Vinnyboombatz and zesty like this.
  6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Maybe try some fresh carbon? I've read most people talk about using carbon to clean up after a nem goes wild... Might be worth a try

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I've fed just small chunks of Rod's food......I will try the carbon. Any advice on what I could try as far as food? I usually feed my nems about once every couple of weeks just a small chunk of mysis or Rod's.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If you are feeding fish you are feeding the anemone.:)
    Small whole chunks of fresh fish are preferable to tiny chunks when target feeding anemones ime.My grocery guy would always hook me up with a couple small pieces of fresh fish.

10. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Picture and water parameters please...I agree with Vin, I have never fed my RBTA.

11. Nick Adrian

Nick Adrian Plankton

I had a nem shrink like that it was one I got from a friend with inadequate lighting. I fed it a small piece of raw shrimp (started with size of pencil eraser and worked up) but had to pretty much hold the piece on the nems mouth until it ate it, did that every few days for about a month and it sprung right back and once they are large enough with adequate lighting they don't need to be fed often some dont feed them at all I still do about once a week .

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Hey mindy, it sounds like you've really tried everything to make the nem happy. Since your RBTA is thriving, not just living, I don't think there's much you can do. Personally, I'd leave it be and hope for the best. Nems are very simple yet complicated animals. I've experienced the same issues your having while 2 BTA were doing amazing. It's hard to just watch something degrade in our aquarium because we love our animals and I know you do your best to give great care to your tank. My advice would be to stop feeding it and just let it be. Rods food is more than adequate for food so I don't think feeding is your issue, especially with your lights. As a last resort you can double check params but I doubt it's an issue. I hope this helps.