Need help with bulbs, going to buy ASAP

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by {Nano}Reefer, Dec 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

hello all, i am about to purchase my bulbs any minute now but i cant figure out wich ones to go with. the giesmannes are looking good but i dont want a yellow daylight bulb, anyone have a UVL daylight that is white in color? what about actinics? i want 2 white 2 actinics but i dont want any yellowing in color, anyone with these bulbs please respond, i would like to buy them as soon as i can.

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I would go 12000K daylight at the very least. I would also stay around 420nm ITO actinics. UVL is a great choice. Definitely go with UVL.

1 person likes this.
  4. {Nano}Reefer

why the very least? thanks for respondin john!

5. {Nano}Reefer

i see UVL makes a 14K bulb, what about those?

do you have UVL's?

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Well, you can go 10000K and 12000K. Also available are daylight bulbs that are 16000 to 18000K.....more into the blue spectrum. When I get my T5s, I am going to have just that 16000K daylight and the actinics. My tank is going to have a blue tinge to it.

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

No, not yet. Just PCs. My wife has to give me clearance to spend the money on the 8x54W TEK array I want. But when I do get permission, I am soooooo there.

It just depends on what kind of look you want in your tank in terms of color. I would have to look at the color spectrum chart for the bluer daylight bulbs, but it seems to me that it would provide photosynthetic activity, as long as the nms are between 420 and 460

8. Click Here!

9. {Nano}Reefer

hmmm, im looking for a half and half sort of thing, 2 white 2 blue, suppose i should just get 2 14K bulbs and 2 super actinics?

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

How many slots do you have in your fixture? four?

11. {Nano}Reefer

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK, that was a stupid question.....of course you have four. You were looking for four. I would buy one 12K, two 14K and two actinics. Then you can mess around with the color of your tank. You can use two 14K or one 12 and one 14. And of course two actinics. Then you would have one extra daylight in case one goes out.

1 person likes this.