Need help with Acro

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Jason McKenzie, May 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I'm not entirely sure what is going on here. I first thought low flow and adjusted. I don't think It's the BTS behind as I have never seen it's tenticals near.

Any suggestions?

J

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Jason, I don't know that much yet but when I was at my LFS they had some coral doing somewhat the same thing and they said it was to much light and they had to move it lower in the tank as it was to close to the MH ( Like I said I don't know for sure)

4. Jason McKenzie

This Acro was an inch long 3 month ago. I have not moved it since and it came from a tank that had 2x400W MH. I don't think Light is a factor this time. But that would have been my first thought as well Sorry for not posting all the info needed

Power head is on it but not directly. Some polyps at the base are out at night

Tank Parameters

Temp 79-81
    SG 1.025
    CA 390
    dKH 8.4
    PH 8.3
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5
    Has not been moved, but I have noticed Rappid growth over the last few weeks.
    No major changes just added a Wave Maker. Which has increase the flow to the Acro.

Will have the BTA out of the Tank in the next two weeks.
    Jason

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Is there a reason the calcium is so low?
    Is it the photo or is your coraline algae turning white?

6. Jason McKenzie

I think it's the photo. Ca at 390 is low and I don't think a dKH of 8.4 is all that great but I am working on it. CA levels will not usually do what is happening to this poor Acro. I think It may be night feeding of the BTA. I'm monitoring closely

J

7. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Jason thier is alot of tissue loss going on thier, that alone could cause and over night rtn. I would frag what is left and move it to another location.

Mike

8. Click Here!

9. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

How long did it take to get like that...overnight? While the calcium level of 390 isn't real high it would not cause the coral to RTN? The only thing I can think of is for some reason that acro really did not like the change in water flow condtions if nothing else was changed or could have stressed it. Acros can be "funny" creatures sometimes. I have had a colony almost twice the size of my fist I had probably for close to a year RTN basically out of no where one day. I came home from work and found 1/3 of the colony or so gone. I then fragged up the remainder well ahead of the death and put them in another part of the tank and I still lost every bit of it within a couple days.

10. Jason McKenzie

So I never Fraged it and I have since removed the BTA seen in behind. The lower section of the Acro is slowly coming back. I don't know if its new growth or what. I may still frag it as it's not really attractive. But I'm sure it was the BTA that was stinging it.
    My thought is to leave it, as I would like to see if it will come back. I will frag it if algae starts to grow.

Jason

BTW Thanks for all your replies

11. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

has anybody ever grown a SPS corals under PC lighting.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Coral;num=1084674365;start=0#8 date=07/18/04 at 21:01:46]has anybody ever grown a SPS corals under PC lighting.[/quote]

HL this is off topic. Please stay with the subject or start a new thread.