Need help Starting 55 Gallon Saltwater Tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Louzir, Jan 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefwisperer

reefwisperer Feather Duster

2. Click Here!

3. reefwisperer

the steps are backwards oooops sorry start with one .......duhhhhh....lol hope this helps

4. Louzir

Louzir Flamingo Tongue

IMO? well anyway i live in alabama so its about a 50 mile drive to get anything saltwater supplies and thats from petco haha i was wonder if there is a list i should have maybe you guys could help me with one, forgive the writing typing qucikly as possible ill be able to spar 100bucks is it possible to get it started with that? so it can cycle while i save up more cash
    a list would be very helpful and all i have for testing is mardel 5 in 1 test strips ill upload a video to youtube and you can look at the tank to see what i have.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  5. reefwisperer

glad to hear your starting from scratch you may be able to get the salt sand and a little live rock. you will need more rock in the future check out the sponsered stores on this site. there great. oh ya IMO .. (in my opinion). you need a refractometer . and nitraite tester that is important to watch your cycle oh and a salt water ph test. hope all your reefing dreams come true. once you start you'll be addicted.....talk to ya soon

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Did you use tap water in starting your tank?

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

8. Click Here!

9. Louzir

Louzir Flamingo Tongue

hose water yes tap water what other type could i use with the 55 gallon call someone or somthing or buy 55gallons of store jug water? :p

10. Louzir

Louzir Flamingo Tongue

you get the reef crystal bucket? for 34.99?

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK, I would dump the water also. I get my water at the grocery store, out of the large machine in the front. It is RO water. The best is RO/DI water (Reverse Osmosis/DeIonized). Purified. RO/DI you can get at specialty LFS for about 50 cents a gallon. The stuff at the store is 35 cents a gallon.

What I did is get two garbage cans. One for RO water only, one for RO water mixed with Instant Ocean (Reef Crystals). In your case, you would just need 60 gallons to start......about $20 (bring one dollar bills or change). The canisters/garbage cans you will use should be used ONLY for RO water. If you wanna rinse with tap, fine......but the primary use should be aquarium related.

Seriously, I am really happy you found this site when you did. We may come across as DO THIS or DO THAT, but that is the danger of typing a response. We have all gone through our mistakes and learned from them. With me? Big time!!!!;D My wife loves this site.......it has saved her(us) sooooo much money and time.

12. Louzir

Louzir Flamingo Tongue

:) thank you for being cool about helping me man also i have a tap water purifier on my sink would this do the same?i got a 5 gallon water jug may take some time filling but i dont mind :p